1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you identify these hat feathers?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Vintage Runway, May 16, 2018.

1. Vintage Runway

Vintage Runway VFG Member

This is a stunning hat covered with gray iridescent feathers. Some are long and some are shorts and layered. Do you know what kind of feathers these are?

Thank you!

DSC_1660 (3).JPG DSC_1661.JPG DSC_1662.JPG DSC_1665.JPG

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Can you show a close up of both types of feathers? The shorter ones look to be coque feathers, from a rooster; either an Asian variety or what is called a Spanish rooster. Hard to tell on the others unless I can get a closer look. Possibly "burnt" chamically treated ostrich, rhea, or vulture.

3. Vintage Runway

View attachment 89937 View attachment 89938

IMG_3186.jpg IMG_3187.JPG

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  4. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Yes, a quite unique treatment on those feathers makes this a wonderful hat! They are indeed coque/rooster feathers, likely from the sides or tail of the bird. What is so interesting is that the milliner has cut and trimmed the feathers to a short choppy length and then overlaid them in a sort of mosaic or tiled roof technique. Really nice.

I am still not 100% sure what the other feathers are are when treated they can look similar. I could tell if I felt them. My best guess is a treated rhea feather, as they are more spiky looking than most burnt ostrich.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  6. Vintage Runway

These may be better pics...
    Thank you!