1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So neat! Ever thought of artists who have drawn fashion ads over time?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by peaceful vintage, Nov 19, 2018.

1. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

I was browsing the internet looking at vintage fashion ads and happened upon a 1939 ad that was drawn by Dorothy Ann Leach.

When looking further I saw that she drew ads for dept stores. I don't remember the last time I thought about the artist who drew the ads that I looked at. Have you?

I thought it was pretty neat. Take a look through these pics. This one below is a drawing of Santa she drew but there are a lot of other ad drawings that she drew in the other pics.

Santa Claus Ad.gif

2. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

I have actually!

The father of the artist who did my logo did ads for department stores. I have a few pieces of his work tucked away somewhere.

I also bought a few pieces of art like this over the summer. I'll put them out and take a pic when the sun comes up.

3. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

absolutely!

Kenneth Paul Block is one of my all time favorites. His illustrations were in WWD; I fell in love with his style back in the 70s...

[​IMG]

Also, my ex-MIL was the lead illustrator for the Princess Kaiulani Fashions ads in Honolulu for many years. I just realized I don't have any of her illustrations...there were always so many in her studio, it never occured to me to ask for some copies of them.

4. These are fabulous!! I never really thought about the newspaper ads, but more so the illustrations on sewing patterns.

I have a vintage art tutorial magazine on how to draw for fashion illustration purposes from the 1940s.
    One of my treasures.

I can scan a few pages.

5. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

What a treasure-trove. Thank you for sharing. I am struck by how often the hats were shown clearly in ads for dresses and coats. They should be a good source for dating hat styles. In some ads shoes were also detailed.
    For ordinary folks, newspaper ads had a great influence on fashion trends because they reached so many people.
    Marian

6. catseyevintage

catseyevintage VFG Member

This really brings back memories for me because my Grandmother and aunts lived in southern Ohio and would drive into Columbus to shop at Lazarus back in the day. They were very stylishly dressed ladies.

Thank you for sharing.

7. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Yes, post them please. :)

8. Dorothy had to be able to draw more than fashions.....typewriters and radios, too! So interesting, Caryn. Thanks so much for sharing this!

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  9. migerrin

migerrin Registered Guest

My grandfather drew ads for Montgomery Fair back in the 50s &60s then worked for Hudson Belk in NC. He also did the full window display art back then creating & building backdrops, setting up mannequins etc.. I have some neat pics of the old window displays, but not scanned. These are just a few of the original "rejects" that his kids didn't want that made it to the grands.

Attached Files:

10. How exciting migerrin. Please show us the window displays! My background is in windows displays and visual merchandising and i would love to see these photos of the past.
    The dept store, that I worked for at the time, had photos from the 1940s and 60s, but threw them out!

11. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

Love all these beautiful pieces of art!

An artist in my hometown (Buffalo, NY) put up "vintage" advertisements on the exterior of the old AM&A's store downtown. He made them from old magazine ads but they fooled a bunch of people into thinking they were genuine! Here are some pics I took:

20181016_165754.jpg 20181016_165821.jpg 20181016_165811.jpg 20181016_165739.jpg 20181016_165843.jpg