1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone know ANYTHING about Peter Barron?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Michelle Schneiter, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Michelle Schneiter

Michelle Schneiter Registered Guest

Hi,

I have a gorgeous evening dress that I got from my mother that was purchased in the eighties. The designer is Peter Barron of London. I've noticed throughout the internet that people are selling some of his pieces, mostly from the '60s, but nobody provides information on this designer. I'm trying to find any little tidbits I can about him. Is he even still alive???? If you know anything, or can point me in the right direction, I'd sure be grateful.

Thanks so much,
    Michelle

2. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Hi Michelle -- I'm bumping this back to the top. Hopefully, someone will know more.

3. tabbyeric

tabbyeric Registered Guest

Hi, just found your post. I used to work for Peter Barron Fashions in the 1960's. Their showroom was in Eastcastle Street, London, just across the road from Oxford Circus Underground Station. I was a secretary there but doubled up as 'model' when the official one was away, or lunch break or whatever. I had numerous dresses from them and am so sad that I didn't hang onto them. There was never a 'Peter Barron' that I was aware of. I believe the designer was a Mr Ravden, (him and his brother I think) at least he was the boss there. The showroom manageress was a Mrs Freda Broad and her assistant was Paula. Gosh, a real trip down memory lane. There was a large department store close by - D H Evans maybe? We used to go in at lunchtime and have a 'comb up' - our hair styled into the curled top knot of the day. We were also able to shop at Mansfield Coats and there was also a costume jewellery wholesaler that we were able to buy from at cost price. I did find a navy and white dress and jacket at a jumble sale a few years ago and had to buy it for old times sake. Sorry not to be able to give you anything more definite.

4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Thanks so much for this @tabbyeric.

I've had one or two Peter Barron dresses over the years. This is only one I have a photo of:

DSC_0899.jpg
    DSC_0902.jpg

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

So nice to hear some of the background story, thanks Tabbyeric.

6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

7. paintedbird.nz

paintedbird.nz Registered Guest

Hi there! I have a Peter Barron - I found this excerpt (only a mention but still interesting to note) in our New Zealand Fashion Museum in relation to designer Jane Daniels,"... Jane travelled overseas where she studied part-time at London’s famous Natalie Bray pattern-making school and at the London College of Fashion. She supported herself with three jobs, one of which was producing fashion sketches for Peter Barron Dresses, a fashion house that sold its designs to Harrods."

And another in our Te Papa Museum here https://collections.tepapa.govt.nz/object/1015781

I hope that helps!

Cheers
    Stephanie King

Attached Files:

8. Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie Registered Guest

Thanks for such an interesting post.

9. Janet Gower

Janet Gower Registered Guest

My mother Joan Gower worked at Peter Baron in East Castle Street as their Sample Machinist working with the designer and cutters to produce that first dress. Making the first sample for the other Machinists to follow. This was late '50' early '60's. Then in later years Joan and her sister Doris became outdoor workers for Peter Baron. Doris was considered their fastest Machinist.