1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. blubirdboutique

blubirdboutique Registered Guest

Hello all :) I have noticed a few times lately when steaming heavy satin that I can see the pattern of the holes from my iron board on the fabric! Is this just a case of needing a better pad on the board? Are the circles permanent? I sure hope not! Thanks!

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

1) Yes get a better pad
    2) If you are using an iron, iron from the backside, not the front
    3) I would suggest using a steamer if its silk satin - a steamer should be enough to take out the wrinkles with the necessity of ironing. Ironing is really hard on all animal fibres (although sometimes necessary on things like silk chiffon)

3. blubirdboutique

Thanks Jonathan! Do you think if I re-iron it with a better pad the little circles will iron out?

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It depends on how badly the marks are ingrained on the surface of the satin. I would try just steam first because you have flattened the fibres so you need to plump them up first. If you don't have a steamer, use a kettle and hold the fabric over it for a few seconds. Or, you could use the 'shot of steam' from an iron holding it away from the surface.

5. blubirdboutique

Thanks! I'll try that. I do have a steamer but for some reason the wrinkles wouldn't budge so I resorted to ironing it.

6. Vintage Runway

Vintage Runway VFG Member

Jonathan, do you know of a steamer that won't spit water? I haven't found a good one.