1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canadian designer Elvia: early 70s lurex maxi dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by The Vintage Vendeuse, May 7, 2019.

1. It actually started out quite difficult researching this dress because results for Elvira and Elvis kept being presented to me LOL. And I couldn’t quite decipher the other name on the label either, which turned out to be Luv Inc.

Elvia Gobbo is still alive and kicking but has apparently switched her creative focus to photography. From what I’ve found, Elvia’s association with Luv Inc. ended in 1974. She eventually went to Malcolm Starr in New York, where she designed under Elvia for Les Mouches.

http://www.clothingcanadafashion.com/designers-1900-1980/1960-2/elvia-gobbo/

My dress should’ve had a tie belt but sadly that’s been lost. Nevertheless, I think it’s gorgeous and wanted to share!

C0FB8EFC-31A3-44CF-945A-5B4C1C466BF3.jpeg 2080E7F1-E05A-4FDB-9469-ACDA25888BE5.jpeg 87F31979-5298-47F3-9442-6016C6695964.jpeg E02A3915-8FAC-4D98-B1CE-92C3C0C8A3C4.jpeg FE94C89F-C870-4808-B9FC-4587C9E5F78F.jpeg

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  2. wyogems

wyogems VFG Member

3. Thanks, but it has to be 1970 to 74 as that is the only time that Elvia designed under Luv Inc. I wasn’t asking about dating on this item, just showing it off and giving the designer some attention, hence my posting it under “Show and Tell“. :)

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    Retro Ruth and wyogems like this.
  4. I’ve had that label in the past. I see 70s.

The Vintage Vendeuse likes this.
  5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

The dress is wonderful, and thank you for showing it. I was not at all familiar with this designer.

The lurex threads give the fabric a very good drape. Love it!

6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

7. wyogems

wyogems VFG Member

Oh well good to know! I have never seen an Elvia piece. Now that you mention it, the label does look very Peter Max.

8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I have had a couple of dresses by Elvia. I see 70s.

9. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Luv Inc. was one of those junior labels that was copying boutique styles to grab that market - they were actually a big manufacturer that had been around for decades as Lyndale Sportswear. They also had The Factory under their junior sportswear labels. Not sure how long Luv Inc. or The Factory lasted - they were probably dropped sometime in the mid 70s, but Lyndale is still around last time I looked...

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  10. Thanks, Jonathan!

My middle daughter saw the dress on the mannequin and immediately said, "I'd wear that!". She wants to keep it. She's tall and thin so I think it'll look fantastic on her. If I can, I'll get a photo when she tries it on. :)