1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should these clothes be saved?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by lkranieri, May 3, 2019.

1. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Well, for better or worse, a great many pieces in my personal vintage/antique clothing collection are like this. I once had a seller at an antiques show try to talk me out of buying a 1940’s apron that had been carefully repaired with a dissimilar patch. He showed me like-new vintage aprons, but none of them touched my soul like the message of this seemingly insignificant garment that the former owner repaired, rather than buy a new apron...

Should these clothes be saved?

I hope this link will lead you to the article even if you don’t subscribe, which I do, so I can’t test it.

2. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Hooray -- the NYT just took down their limits on online access, so I'll now be able to read it. Thank you, Lynne.

wyogems and lkranieri like this.
  3. wyogems

wyogems VFG Member

I think most of us would answer with a resounding yes. lol

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

6. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Excellent article! I hope they get the funding to preserve these pieces.

7. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

Wonderful article. Makes me almost cry thinking about not saving this history.
    Yes for sure.

8. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

When I clicked on this to read it (and of course YES is my answer) I only have 3 articles left.

9. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

The free access was only for a few days, they are back to 3 or 4 articles per month.

10. If you have a subscription and don't mind stealing the occasional article, you can take screenshots to share privately, such as here. I have a subscription (or DH does, I think. WAPO, too). it's similar, if done only occasionally and not in a haphazard manner, to claiming/grabbing an abandoned WSJ or NYT left behind by some business man who's finished with it, when you arrive at Penn Station.