1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating women's swim bottoms?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Little miss sunshine, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Little miss sunshine

Little miss sunshine Registered Guest

I believe these are Famous-Barr women's swim bottoms and am not sure whether they are from the 40's or 50's. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thank you in advance! :)

Attached Files:

2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

3. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I think they may be '60's also. Is the zipper metal or plastic?

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Are they also necessarily for swimming? They look like the sort of thing worn under a tennis dress in the late 1960s.

5. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Gidget didn't play tennis. Neither did Annette. lol

6. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I'm not sure it's part of a swimsuit either but I don't think it is part of a tennis outfit unless the panties have elastic at the bottom. You have to be able to move freely and run when you play tennis! I'm not sure tennis (under) shorts would have a zipper, either. (I used to play tennis.)

It was made in Hawaii by Kahala for Famous-Barr (a St. Louis Department Store that was a division of Macy's.) I think it might be part of a resort wear outfit.

7. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

We had a similar pair of these shorts. They were part of a Carol Brent bathing suit, juniors size. I think they were meant be worn a la Gidget on the beach and in the sun which is how we wore them in the day.

Attached Files:

8. Little miss sunshine

Little miss sunshine Registered Guest

Wow, thank you everyone for your response/input!
    Thank you for correcting me, in being the 60's!
    The bottoms have a metal zipper, they also have a "built-in panties" sort of thing with elastic leg hole openings. It is made with a pretty floral type lace also.