1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saks Fifth Avenue Shoes

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Dee Dee Hall, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Dee Dee Hall

Dee Dee Hall Registered Guest

Can someone help me date these shoes? Kinda lost on year. The font kinda looks newer to me. So I am wondering if they are even vintage.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  2. They look 60s to me. Mid to late. Looking forward to what others think.

MyVintageCocktail likes this.
  3. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

They're cute! I think late 60s, but could be mid. That's just the impression I'm getting from them. Very unscientific.

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I don't think they are earlier than '66. I think they are right around 1967 possibly '68. Jonathan will know for sure!

5. Dee Dee Hall

I thought 60’s also but the writing inside shoes seems like more current style? I have a picture here. That last pic that shows the writing good. Is it possibly a 90’s redo from that time? Here on your website it shows the same type of writing and says’ the 90’s. So I’m a little confused. It’s 60’s style but writing says’ 90’s if that is correct?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  6. Definitely 60s. Another clue is the written size and codes on the inside, the toe tap on the bottom sole.

MyVintageCocktail likes this.
  7. Dee Dee Hall

Ok, thank you so much. For the 60’s they are in excellent shape. I’ll go with it.

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  8. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

9. Alice M

Alice M Registered Guest

Just hijacking this thread sorry, are toe taps always on shoes older than a certain date? Or rather, only on shoes older than a certain date? I haven't come across them before and just curious.

10. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I would go to 1969-70, that heel is very blocky and the toe becoming round - it's that transitional period between the flat square toes shoes and the heavy soles of the early 70s. The writing inside is fine - typical of the script in Saks shoes of the period. The toe taps are called 'segs', show up in the 1920s, possibly even earlier - I am trying to think of the oldest examples I have seen, but definitely around by the late 1920s. I can't think of them lasting much beyond the early 1980s.