1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What era is this?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Vintessa Dolls, Aug 9, 2019.

?

New here please help !!

1. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Vintessa Dolls

Vintessa Dolls Registered Guest

Hello girls new here and to the wonderful world of vintage. I have so many pieces i can not identify and feel so in the dark, i read a lot but when it comes to a homemade piece things are more difficult for me. This is one of my latest finds, a devore soutache top with full back button closure that i feel is modified from its previous owner, since the buttons are so casual for a formal top like this. Has lining, no label and from it's seams looks homemade. Can anyone help? Thank you a lot!!!! 1565385626927.JPEG 1565385627037.JPEG 1565385627123.JPEG 1565385627306.JPEG 1565385627718.JPEG 67823780_1305978542900813_6888619284944125952_n.jpg

Attached Files:

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It doesn't look old to me - 90s or 2000s?

3. Vintessa Dolls

Thank you very much!!!

4. Vintessa Dolls

What about this one? I feel is 30s and pure silk since i have a blouse and in microscope fibers look identical but still not sure. Any ideas? What about this tiny pocket on chest? What is for? I really appreciate your help!!!

1564214701613.jpg 1564248205385.jpg 1564214701123.jpg 1564214680279.jpg 1564214663963.jpg

5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It looks a bit long for wartime 40s if it were North American or English, but if its continental European, it could be wartime 40s. The hemlines were a titch longer in Europe during the war, and a little fuller. The hand bound selvedges look continental European - it was a common technique used by French couturiers, but copied and used by many European dressmakers. Even though its simple it's nicely made.

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Nice dress. The little pocket was probably for a decorative handkerchief. contrasting fabric, or lace.

MyVintageCocktail likes this.
  7. Vintessa Dolls

Thank you for your replies and help!!! :) It is really precious for me. What about fabric? This pic might 1564979557066.jpg help someone say for sure?

8. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

From the dating and the looks of it (not the close-up, but the sleeve photo), I'd say rayon crepe, but it's really impossible to tell at a distance, so to speak. You'd need to do a burn test if there's a bit you can snip. Weave alone, which shows in your close-up, can't identify the fiber, such as silk, rayon, etc.

This is the chart I use for determining the results of a burn test. But sometimes even that isn't definitive.

burn_chart_jpeg.jpg

9. Vintessa Dolls

ok. i will try with the test. Thank you all for your responses . I am really happy i found you.

10. Vintessa Dolls

I did the test, it is really funny procedure and i really enjoy it. Glad also for the results! Hair odor and black ashes that has been crashed easily. I got disappointed for my 90s blouse but this dress rewarded me :)

11. Alice M

Alice M Registered Guest

Both of these are so gorgeous! I know you are disappointed in the age of the first blouse, but I am in love with it! Wish I had found it, it would go with so many of the things I wear. Still a fabulous piece I think!

Vintessa Dolls likes this.
  12. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

13. Vintessa Dolls

Thank you girls. You are so kind. Unfortunately for me the blouse is S/M not my size and even though it was love at first sight, i will put it for sale. Thanks anyway i m glad i am here, your responses made me really happy. :)

14. Vintessa Dolls

hello again. hope you are all fine. At first i said this dress was 50s 60s. But then got confused because of the lining, the plastic zip and the 50 size label. Dress is small for 50. Is there any links or books i can use in order to understand the methology of identification ? The more i read the more i get confused :) Τhanks anyway. Κalimera!

Attached Files:

15. Vintessa Dolls

οκ i see...thank you anyway . :)

16. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Please note if you wish to ask a new question regarding a different item, please start a new thread for that one.
    It just makes it easier for us to come along to help you out. Otherwise we are unaware you have something else you would like help with.

17. Vintessa Dolls

Since i put two different items here and got answers i thought this was the easiest and the more appropriate way . Sorry new here. Thank you for your replies. Peace and love. :)

poppysvintageclothing likes this.