1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bunch of scarves - 1

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Alice M, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Alice M

Alice M Registered Guest

I was lucky at a thrift store today and got these scarves for $1. Some are branded, but I am wondering about the dates, and one is not branded. I will post three separate times as the rules ask for one item only per post. Sorry to hog the forum with multiple posts though.

The first one is a Fisba-Stoffles scarf/handkerchief. I thought it was a small scarf, but as it is cotton, square and small, I think it is one of their handkerchiefs. I have info on Fisba products from the label collection on here, so I know the upper limit to its age, but not a lower limit. Any ideas on a more certain date for this please?
    20190813_142150.jpg 20190813_142147.jpg 20190813_142157.jpg
    Thank you for any help that you are able to give.
    Alice

GemGem and Metro Retro Vintage like this.
  2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Please don't worry about hogging the forums! That's what we are here for.

The lady has a 1920s look about her, but the graphic style is definitely later. It's making me wonder if the scarf could be 1960s when there was a big 1920s revival. This is just a guess though.

GemGem and denisebrain like this.
  3. Alice M

Alice M Registered Guest

Thank you for being so generous with your time about these. I also thought the cloche? hat looked 1920s, but knew it couldn't be due to the cotton still being so strong. Thank you for the hint on the 1960s! I will start looking into that era's graphic design and see if I can find similar in this brand to that.

GemGem likes this.
  4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Pretty! The graphics are looking 20s-style, but I would say as well, 60s, or maybe 50s at the earliest.

GemGem likes this.
  5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

The lady is wearing clothing and a hat from the very early 1930s . I am not familiar with the time frame of the maker, but I think that is when the hanky is actually from. `Early 1930s

GemGem likes this.
  6. Alice M

Alice M Registered Guest

Thank you everyone for your thoughts on this. I know I won't be blowing my nose on it at least!

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Mirrored image and the size of the signature, I think this must be 1970s, which is when there is a big Deco 20s-40s revival happening, so it fits in.

8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

The signature does match the 70s one we have in the resource. I would imagine that although this is a very old company that there font would have changed over the years.

GemGem likes this.
  9. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I guess I am going against the general opinion here. I still think it is early 30s. If it were a scarf, larger and made of other material, I might agree it could be 70s (but still think no). But she says this is a small cotton hanky. I lived and loved that 70s revival and just do not recall handkerchiefs being popular at all anymore (except for bandanas), much less being made to adapt to a rather short lived fashion trend.

I love the graphics. Now I am seeing a woman, the front engine of a train (?), latches from luggage or something else. Perhaps this was a "Bon Voyage" handkerchief intended as a gift. That was a hugely popular thing back in the 30s.

I could, of course, be totally wrong!

GemGem likes this.
  10. Midge

I am picking up on an old thread here, but just in case @Alice M sees this... I've just been doing some more research on Fisba-Stoffels and have found a lot more info than what we have on the Label Resource so far. The company was in operation from the late 1960s until 1988 :).

11. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

12. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

btw, how small is small? what are the measurements? :)

GemGem likes this.
  13. Alice M

Alice M Registered Guest

Oh thank you Midge, that is indeed really helpful. It definitely helps me be certain that this scarf is indeed 1970s, and not earlier. I really appreciate you remembering and coming back here to update me :)

Midge and GemGem like this.
  14. Midge

You're welcome @Alice M - I had researched Fisba-Stoffels before, but this time around I found so much more and better information, and the Swiss trade register publications online, which finished the puzzle, and I knew I hadn't had everything right the first time, so I went back to see when we may have discussed this before.

15. Alice M

Alice M Registered Guest

Very, very thorough of you, and much appreciated! It is incredible what info is lurking online, and how sometimes it rises to the surface and other times it does not so much.

Midge likes this.