1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Framed Beaded Eleanor Purse

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Christina Buell, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Christina Buell

Christina Buell Registered Guest

I bought this from a gentleman who buys storage units at auction. He knew nothing about this purse but everything in that unit was a relic! For the life of me I can't find anyone who knows anything about this purse. The only things I've discovered is that it's Eleanor style, glass beaded and hand strung. The handle and clasp could possibly be 14kt gold. Stones?? They didn't have "fake" stones in the 20's, did they? They also didn't have all purpose glue. Has it been restored? If so...why??? Is what I'm really after tucked away inside? I'm so frustrated!!!
    Very expensive framing for a purse that was just a purse. I just keep staring at it hoping something will surface. My favorite Era has left me with a mystery!!!!

Attached Files:

2. Christina Buell

Can't find an Eleanor Style from the 60's...

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I don't think bag findings like handles and clasps were ever made of gold... do you have any indication why it should be so on this bag? And rhinestones have been around for quite a long time, that wouldn't be a problem for 2os.

Christina Buell likes this.
  4. I have never seen a 1920s bag with this type . The kiss lock brass gold tone clasp is 1950s 60 era.
    Where do you see the Eleanor label?

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I have to admit that this looks 1960s to me as well. I have never heard of Eleanor as a maker of beaded purses. I did do a quick google search and what I find that may relate to it appears to be new purses styled and named as 20s Gatsby style but even those don't really look like authentic 1920s purses.

Yes, rhinestone and paste have been around for a long time, earlier than the 20s even.

It's a very pretty purse but I don't see it as being that old.

I see it is framed so it would be a lot of trouble to take out and take photos of the inside of the bag that would also help determine age.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    Christina Buell likes this.
  6. Christina Buell

Thank you all for your feedback. I think I'm going to take it to get truly appraised. I just don't want to ruin the Integrity without finding out first what it might be. Someone spent a lot of money to put it in here and keep it protected. I would like to find the owner, if not the family. I don't see an Eleanor label but after my research it looks like it's Eleanor Style. The beads are glass because I hear them against a thick glass pane on the framing. That's all I can be sure of at this point. The rhinestones, if that's what they are, are in excellent shape and give off a tremendous shine! I'm just really curious about this purse.

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

It is a lovely purse, but I agree with the others that it is not antique and not terribly old. Someone may have framed it for sentimental reasons or they though it was antique when they had it framed. But it is not. Why did you ask about glue? Are the stones glued? They should be individually set in metal prongs or a metal base. If glued, that is a bad sign. And yes, fake jewels (paste) have been around for centuries. This purse reminds me of ones from the 70s and 80s, made in Asia. The frame is not antique either. I know you want it to be real gold and real gems, but that is highly unlikely. Maybe someone framed ti to make it look more valuable?

Professional appraisals can be expensive, maybe keep doing more research on your own. I do not see this as worth paying to have appraised, but if it makes you feel better, that is understandable.

Christina Buell and Midge like this.
  8. Christina Buell

9. Christina Buell

I'm not interested in money. I'm more interested in the story. I will pay to have it appraised if I can't find out anything about it. I have a friend at Sotheby's. I don't want to travel anytime soon for that appraisal. The stones are affixed in a small metal casing with no residue on the ones that fell off. How can you assure it's not antique if you haven't seen it? I'm hoping the black mesh is over silk. Why is it atmosphere protected? I don't know anyone that would spend a few hundred bucks for the frame and protected box for a purse they aren't sure is worth saving.

10. Altogether you have over 100 years of vintage fashion experience in the above replies. I understand you are disappointed with the replies, but if you felt people could not offer any help without physically seeing the bag in question, then why come to these forums?

Best of luck in your continued research.

11. pinky-a-gogo

pinky-a-gogo VFG Member VFG Past President

What Barbara is saying in a very polite way--is that this purse is not worth an appraisal fee. They will tell you that it is not worth much. And will not be able to tell you why it was framed or how to find the family. They will have to "unframe" it to look inside for a label. There most likely isn't a label or if there is one it probably will say Made in Hong Kong.
    They did a lot of bead work in the 50s/60s era.

The clasp is gold tone metal, not 14k. The purse is a 1960s beaded kiss clasp purse.

The fitted by MF label on the back is the framers initials. It is framed very nicely. I would bet it was a keepsake, most likely a loved ones purse that they wanted to display.

I have many, many beaded purses framed. They are custom framed with suede mats. No significance to me other than they are pretty.

I will post a few authentic beaded 1920 framed bags below so you can see the difference. Look at the closures, the bead size, etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Christina Buell

13. Christina Buell

Thank you! My friend is having it appraised at Sotheby's!!!

14. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

15. Christina Buell

16. Christina Buell

I am definitely not disappointed.

17. Christina Buell

18. Christina Buell

This one is....