1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help dating garment - dress / coat ?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Aimee, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Aimee

Aimee Registered Guest

any help dating this garment would be much appreciated. also looking for name of lace type - thank you very much for your help!

the garment has an opening in the back, almost as if for a pocket? but with no lining. not sure what's going on there :puzzled:

_MG_2158.JPG _MG_2161.jpg _MG_2094.jpg _MG_2092.jpg _MG_2087.jpg _MG_2152.jpg

2. Aimee

Aimee Registered Guest

any guesses? :puzzled:

3. Aimee

Aimee Registered Guest

Truly stumped with this one! pillowfightemoti

4. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I just can't tell from the photos... any close ups of the finishing, buttons, etc.?

5. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Is there only one opening in the back? Is it a split seam or is it finished in a way that you think it had an intended use? I wonder if a belt tied in the front then went through slits on the back so the back will hang freely.
    Marian

6. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Would have to handle it to be sure, but I think its early 80s - doing a Princess Diana Victoriana style revival look.... I recall there were a lot of lace collars in 1982-83ish? I think? Especially of those mixed lace style collars, usually on black or floral loose fitting dresses. Perhaps its for maternity? It's a machine lace that imitating an older style of lace - it's made by being sewn onto paper and the the paper is dissolved revealing the lace.

7. Aimee

Aimee Registered Guest

Thanks so much everyone! It was found with a collection of much older items - ranging from late 1800's to 1930's so I'm a bit confused, possibly could be older? The fabric is rough & thick.

Appreciate everyones help!

8. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It could be earlier - it's hard to tell sometimes from photos. It could be 1920s, but then I would think it might be a maternity dress?