1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Helen Rose or Helene Poross? Struggling to read this label, would love help.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by QVintage, Oct 9, 2019.

1. QVintage

QVintage Registered Guest

Hi All,

So, I've found the wool dress pictured here, and it's lovely.

Linked with silk, the zipper company Ries (metal) was established in 1949 according to my research.

I believe the dress is early 1960s or late 50s, but I'm uncertain and would love some help with dating it properly.

Additionally, I am SO confused on reading this label, I've looked in countless forums and threads here and elsewhere and I just can't seem to make it out. I originally thought it read "Helene Poross" but with the rose pictured, I wondered if it's a Helen Rose.

Any assistance you all can offer is so appreciated.

Thank you,

Katherine

Attached Files:

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It looks late 60s to me, and don't know the label, but its not Helen Rose - I believe she only did evening clothes when she started her own label.

QVintage likes this.
  3. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Definitely late 60s design. I'm wondering... could you get in closer to the label? I can't tell exactly what it says as there's a glare.

QVintage likes this.
  4. MaryLC

MaryLC Registered Guest

Oh my gosh.. please take more pictures at different angles, in different light. This is now making me crazy. I hope someone knows.

QVintage likes this.
  5. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

It looks a little like Helene Powers. Not that that helps.

QVintage likes this.
  6. QVintage

QVintage Registered Guest

It's such a wild mystery!!! Even with lighting, the label is so tough to read and bent, but I gave it a new shot, please let me know what y'all think in the attached photos.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that's totally lost here...I thought everyone would be laughing at my naivete!

It's a fun dress but whoever Helene/Helen is needed a better label designer...

Attached Files:

7. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I see Helene Poross and agree that it's late '60s. I think it's European because of the 42 size tag

8. MaryLC

MaryLC Registered Guest

I just googled Povass... uh... don't do that, as the results are XXX rated. shock emoti

9. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

lol

10. AuroraNox

AuroraNox Registered Guest

Katherine, could you by any chance send me a photo of the zipper "handle" (I have no idea what the proper term is). I'm trying to date a dress which I suspect is late 50s / early 60s and I have only found 2 or 3 pictures of vintage 50s and 60s RIES zippers and none of them were even remotely similar to mine.