1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rock that frock

Rock that frock Registered Guest

Hello,

Has anyone ever heard of J Ferry shoemaker from Paris? I recently acquired a pair of black silk heels. The only place I could find this shoe was on the MET website. They seem to have quite a few in different colors. The condition is remarkably beautiful.

Does anyone know anything about this person, J Ferry?

Thank you!

2. Rock that frock

3. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

Hi!

I have not heard of them but they sound lovely. Could you post some pics?

4. Rock that frock

Hi,

Yes, I would be happy to do so. Just as soon as the lighting is in my favor.

:)

5. Rock that frock

These are the exact same shoes I have found on the MET site. The condition is amazing.

Evening shoes1890–1900
    J. Ferry French

Photo was taken from the MET.

Attached Files:

6. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

Lovely! Thanks!

And I can relate to the lighting issue - it's a gloomy day here in Maine - not good for photos of dark items.

Rock that frock likes this.
  7. Rock that frock

pics are fuzzy, will try to do better later.

Attached Files:

8. Rock that frock

Connecticut gloomy! lol

9. Rock that frock

I'm thinking if the MET has them, they must be worth 10s of thousands $$$$! LOL

10. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

J. Ferry was a fairly prolific shoemaker in Paris. I suspect he worked with the couturiers to make shoes to match dresses in colour, or even using extra fabric to match dresses. The Bata Shoe Museum in Toronto also has a few example by him as well. I don't know his history, he was certainly around the last quarter of the 19th century. Your pair looks late 1870s or c. 1880 to me. The toe is very round, and the profile stitching on the heel is typical of that period

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  11. Rock that frock

Hello,

Thank you so much for that bit of information! It's very helpful to me.

Sincerely,

Joanne

12. Rock that frock

Hi,

Have you ever seen J Ferry shoes besides a museum? Would you happen to know anyone I can contact for an appraisal?

Thank you for your time!

Joanne

13. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Depends where you are and what sort of appraisal you want. If you are looking for a price, I would suggest you look at ended sale prices for similar late 19th century shoes on Ebay and Etsy. There are dealers who have or are carrying similar items by other makers.

14. Rock that frock

Hi,

Thank you very much. I will do just that! I appreciate your help.

:)

15. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I don't know if you still can, but I have in the past looked up shoe valuations on Kerry Taylor's auctions. She usually has a few pairs of shoes in each sale, shoes of this age won't be in every fashion auction but she has them more than any other platform I know of. I can't remember if it stated how much they sold for. You do have to click through each auction's catelogue link and physically look for the listings, so it's down to how much work you want to put in.
    I would mention that just because the met have a pair in their collection does not make them inherently valuable, and plain black shoes are the most common of all, so please don't get your hopes up. ;)

Jonathan and Retro Ruth like this.