1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating vintage coat/cape, Edwardian or 20s?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Birdy, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Birdy

Birdy Registered Guest

Hello! Post 3 of 5. Asking for help dating this coat/cape. It has a very Art Deco vibe to me and I’m guessing 1920s but also wondering if it could be earlier? Feels like a thin felt wool. Silk lined. Small pocket on inside one side. No labels. Any help is much appreciated, thank you again!

Attached Files:

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I am seeing earlier than 20s...it has a bit of a cocoon thing going on...stunning!

MyVintageCocktail and Birdy like this.
  3. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

I think earlier... 1900-1910. I'm seeing more tail-end of the Aesthetic movement... definitely a precursor to Art Deco style. I have some dresses in my personal collection very similar in shape with the geometric embroidery.

Just curious... in what part of the world are you?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    MyVintageCocktail and Birdy like this.
  4. Birdy

Birdy Registered Guest

Thank you for your reply! I am in California, USA.

5. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I see earllier than the 1910's. So dramatic. How, where, how did you acqire this stunning collection if its not a secret.
    Marian

Birdy likes this.
  6. Birdy

Birdy Registered Guest

Thank you!

7. Birdy

Birdy Registered Guest

Marian,

It’s a bit of secret but I will say that I won these beauties in an online auction.

8. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

Birdy, I too am in CA (Los Angeles), and have not seen the likes of these treasures for decades... when I lived in San Francisco. That's why I was curious.

Birdy likes this.
  9. Birdy

Birdy Registered Guest

Nice! I’m just south of you in San Diego county. These beauties came from Colorado. I’ve never come across gems such as these before and imagine it’s pretty rare to these days like you’re saying!

Ranch Queen Vintage likes this.
  10. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Looks like that bridge period between early and late Edwardian - lots of burnoose/kimono cut styles, c. 1907 - 1912...

Birdy likes this.
  11. Birdy

Birdy Registered Guest

Thank you so much for your responses and knowledge!! Much appreciated.