1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Janet Lynn label

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Vintagiality, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Hi all,

Does anyone know anything about this label and/ or designer? I can't find anything online.

Thank you
    Victoria
    IMG_1520.JPG IMG_1514.JPG

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  2. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Hi Victoria -- Adorable print! Will bring this back to the top.

3. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Here is trademark information for Janet Lynn, and I have attached here an obit for the founder of the E. Gordon & Co. that filed for the Janet Lynn trademark, a 1973 ad for an item of Janet Lynn loungewear, and the Janet Lynn trademark from the application. Note that the trademark on your label is very slightly different from the published trademark information, but I think it is the same company, as they both appear to be engaged in the manufacture of loungewear.

I also found a reference to a Cocoa Beach shop named Janet Lynn in an earlier discussion about it in this VFG forum and a 1974 reference to "mastectomy bathing suits at Swim-Shape, 165 Minutemen Causeway, Cocoa Beach, Janet Lynn Boutique..." but I am inclined to doubt it is the same company.
    JanetLynnFancifulTrademark.jpg
    JanetLynnEGordonCoNobleObit1977.jpg

JanetLynnAd1973.jpg

4. Vintagiality

Thank you, Lynne! As always! I think that last one is just like mine. I didn’t realize it was a robe or loungewear. I personally would wear it out.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  5. Metro Retro Vintage

I have just received a lovely letter from Janet Gordon, who is the namesake of the label that was started by her grandfather.

There's been some difficulty with posting to the thread, however, she has given me permission to share her letter and information. I'm sure that she would enjoy receiving your comments.

Here is her letter ...

=-=-=-=-=

My name is Janet Gordon. My grandfather, Charles Noble, was the Owner of E. Gordon and co.

Ironically, my married name is Gordon. The label( not the company) began in The 1940’s and my grandfather named it Janet Lynn. Yes, that is my name. The company was based in Philadelphia and also had a New York office.

In the late 1960’s until 1972 my ex-husband Worked for my grandfather. The business Prospered. But, due to unfortunate family circumstances, my grandfather had no choice but to sell it, and (after 50 years) The business (due to improper management) Closed.

My grandfather ( though in his 80’s at the time) suffered when he learned that E. Gordon and Co. had been forced into Bankruptcy. As an aside, Originally, my grandfather bought E.Gordon and Co. from his brother In law, Emanuel Gordon.

The Noble Family also owned B. Noble and Co. Lastly, while I was living in Philly (late 1960’s) I modeled the dresses at Wanamaker’s “Meet the Original Janet Lynn”

=-=-=-=-=

6. Racked Vintage

Racked Vintage Alumni VFG Past President

Love this, Laura! Thanks for sharing!

7. Vintagiality

That's awesome Laura! Thank you for sharing. I am wondering if Janet has any photos from the time she modeled the dresses or from her grandfather's business. Also, who was the designer?

8. Thanks for posting, Laura!

Thanks too to Janet Gordon for writing and allowing you to share!

9. Metro Retro Vintage

I believe she does and mentioned having photos of her grandfather with her children. Hopefully, she'll be able to post them directly to the thread -- or should she send them along, I'll be happy to post them as well.

Vintagiality likes this.