1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Very Unique Clasp on Tooled Leather Handbag

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Mollzonmarz, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Mollzonmarz

Mollzonmarz Registered Guest

Hi there!
    I've recently received a stunning tooled leather handbag with the most unique etched peacock clasp and am hoping to get some insight on it (decade, terminology, pricing, etc.). I'd be thrilled to hear the community's thoughts on this magical piece❤️ C857E9EE-F377-45A5-81C8-1E09C962B803.jpeg 5F7D6CE7-2C27-45CF-8E10-4BF7AC043834.jpeg 09DC8869-3400-48A3-A82E-40264C1FE098.jpeg D598826D-C82D-495B-A6A6-FAAA4BE540D6.jpeg 9142AC4F-FB43-4084-A037-E3100DBB3CE7.jpeg C2E2BABA-6329-44E8-9B39-C57CD94445A8.jpeg CB67842D-E58D-4C11-A17E-2089E479E817.jpeg 4FCE0426-A12E-4C71-8ABF-5EF61332B56D.jpeg

2. Marzilli_Vintage

Marzilli_Vintage VFG Member

There's a pretty clear Southwestern/Mexican feel to this with the tooled leather, silver-looking peacock and abalone inlay, circa 1970 I think. Are there any marks on any part of the clasp? The peacock was a common theme in Mexican silver jewelry in the middle decades of the 20th Century. I'm sorry, but I an't see the clasp detail or letters on the grommet. Can you take a clearer close-up of those?

3. Racked Vintage

Racked Vintage Alumni VFG Past President

I agree with Francis above. The purse is in line with the 1970s and the abalone feathers and sterling head has a Mexican jewelry flare to it. Beautiful piece.

4. Mollzonmarz

Thanks so much for weighing in! I've attached some more photos of the snaps & clasp. Doesn't look like there's any legible stamps or markings on the clasp, but I'd love to know the technical name for this type of closure. I'd also be curious to know your opinion on the gold toned metal surrounding the abalone - etched brass?

You guys are so amazing❤️ Gosh, am I glad this resource exists

Attached Files:

5. Mollzonmarz

So wonderful - thank you! I just added some cleaner photos of the snaps and clasp

6. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

RAU snaps have been around for a long time so they don't help to date the purse.
    The bag's style could be 1950s to 1970s. What does the zipper pull look like and are there any markings on it?
    @MetroRetroVintage might be able to help with the clasp dating.

Mollzonmarz and Flannery Crane like this.
  7. Mollzonmarz

Metal circular chain link zipper pulls. There's definitely a brand stamp on there too but it's pretty tricky to make it out. That said, I'm pretty certain they're Conmars wich initially made me think the bag was older (50's/60's). What do you think?

Attached Files:

8. Mollzonmarz

Feeling pretty good about the info everyone's offered up so far and would lastly just like to know if there's a proper name for the clasp.

Racked Vintage likes this.
  9. Racked Vintage

Racked Vintage Alumni VFG Past President

That's technically called a button and washer clasp however I may use terms such as "clamp peg closure" or "tucked peg closure" based more on its description. Most people do not know the proper terms of closures regardless so don't get too hung up on that.:) I still think its 70s.

Mollzonmarz likes this.
  10. Mollzonmarz

Haha I can get a bit type a about the details (especially if I'm unsure). Thanks for putting my mind at ease. Really appreciate your help❤️

11. I am still seeing 50 with the snap adjustable strap and interior. Most of the 70s didnt have this interior or the the type of handle.

12. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

Thank you for the zipper pix, that really helps. The interior, adjustable straps, ball/chain pull zipper and the clasp all point to 1950s for me.
    It's a very nice purse!

13. Mollzonmarz

Thanks all for chiming in on this one. So much fun trying to solve these kinds of mysteries - one of my favorite things about collecting❤️