1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

writing a book set in 1954...help please?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by James Grove, Jan 5, 2020.

1. James Grove

James Grove Registered Guest

Hi Everyone

I am currently writing a book. It could loosely be described as an crime story, set in 1954, and involves a female fashion designer. I have found some information on fashions, particularly, the New Look, and have watched some movies from the early 50s to orient myself to the fashions that would be current and filtering into smaller towns. I would be grateful for anyone giving me pointers as to how women would dress, and how their fashions and hair relate to their personality. For example, one female character is very rule-bound while another is racy, and it would be helpful to me to have some opinions on how their fashion sense and hair choices would relate to their personalities. I am just starting out so any information would be helpful.
    James

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Hi James. FYI, it is becoming expected for writers to pay researchers for this kind of information now.

3. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

4. James Grove

Thank you both of you, I found the links very helpful. I did not expect replies from your side of the atlantic and that is very welcome. Jonathan, I am happy to pay a researcher but am not sure how this would work? I do not know people here who would research such an area for me. Is there a route into this?
    James

5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Are you in the UK? You could try contacting fashion museums and london school of design to see if there are graduate students or experts of some kind who might be interested. Create a specific list of questions, otherwise the research time needed could get out of hand.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  6. James Grove

Thank you, I can investigate but I am not near London. Your museum looks fantastic but I have no plans to visit Canada soon.

7. kainda

kainda Registered Guest

i dont know if this will help but there is a show called "call the midwife " and that is set in the 50s

"Adapted by Heidi Thomas from the best-selling memoirs of Jennifer Worth, this drama series is a moving, funny, colorful look at midwifery and family in 1950s East End London"
    sometimes you get to see some bits on there
    :)

GemGem likes this.
  8. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Reading women's magazines of around that year would probably give useful insights. Be aware different magazines have different audiences - eg Vogue vs Woman's Weekly would have different fashion slants. You may be able to find them in libraries or buy copies on ebay. If you are in UK, most libraries have online access to databases of what they hold, and often allow you request items from other libraries across the country.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    Racked Vintage likes this.
  9. There is a service called upworks.com where you hire people from all over the world to do graphic, design,research etc.

10. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

I just love the show, the outfits are amazing, even the uniforms are lush!

kainda likes this.