1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help an amateur out again old coat....

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by ashcarp77, Jan 15, 2020.

1. ashcarp77

ashcarp77 Registered Guest

Hello all you fabulous and cultured vintage idols!!! Hope you all are doing well in this new year!! I need your help again!!! I am looking to identify what materials this coat is made of so that I know how to have it properly cleaned!! It looks as though it is handmade.... there is a name embroidered on the inside lining (pic attached) and if anyone has a guess at dating the coat (I could google the embroidered name to see about dating) or any other knowledge I would greatly appreciate any education!!
    I attached some photos of different parts of the coat if you need a different angle or have any questions I will be happy to do what I can....
    Thank you in advance!!
    20200115_135431.jpg 20200115_135442.jpg 20200115_135511.jpg 20200115_135535.jpg 20200115_135622.jpg 20200115_135850.jpg 20200115_141545.jpg
    20200115_135359.jpg

Flannery Crane likes this.
  2. Racked Vintage

Racked Vintage Alumni VFG Past President

Looks like traditional 1950s/60s Persian Lamb with a Mink collar and mother of pearl (MOP) buttons. It could by Curly Lamb as well - they can be hard to distinguish. Many people would have their names added in embroidery to the inside lining. I would wait to see if our fur expert @Furwise may chime in to confirm. Hope this helps you!

3. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

I see Persian Lamb too. Love these jackets - they are so warm!

ashcarp77 likes this.
  4. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi there,
    I agree that your coat is Persian lamb and I’d date it to the 50s.
    The embroidered name is a prior wearer’s monogram.
    The coat itself was not homemade but linings in furs coats are usually sewn in by hand.
    The lining in your coat though is a replacement lining.
    I can tell because if not the stitching would be barely visible if at all, the stitching would be more meticulous, and the age of the lining fabric is newer than your coat is.
    In order to have it cleaned you should take it to a furrier.
    I love those buttons.

5. ashcarp77

Thank you so much for your response and for tagging the fur expert!! This helps a lot!!

Racked Vintage likes this.
  6. ashcarp77

Yes!!! This coat is so heavy!!! I hope to have it cleaned so I can actually get to wear it!!

7. ashcarp77

Thank you so much!!! I love the buttons too!! And the stitching to the lining is falling out in many places... do furries mend garments as well?? I live in such a small area I'm hoping to find one relatively local to me. I truly appreciate your knowledge!!!

8. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

You’re welcome and we’re happy to help.

Furriers do mend garments. It might be expensive to have the lining sewn in again because they would do so by hand but it can’t hurt to ask.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  9. ashcarp77

My sister is amazing at sewing I can always have her help me but she's a busy lady and I hate giving her more work to do!! I found a furrier in Pittsburgh about 2 hours from where I live and close to where my other sister lives so going to hopefully get it there for a good cleaning as soon as I can... although I have 2 toddlers and my time is no longer my own hahaha!! Thank you again!!

peaceful vintage likes this.