1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating embroidered robe

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Elanger, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Elanger

Elanger Registered Guest

Hello folks,
    Can anyone help me with dating this robe? It is some kind of linen with hand embroidery. Found in an attic. It is so lovely! The only markings are some kind of ink at the top inside collar, but illegible now. Thanks for your help! IMG_20200128_110138.jpg IMG_20200128_110123.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Racked Vintage

Racked Vintage Alumni VFG Past President

Hi there! 1940s/early 50s - could be a souvenir robe from Korean War - my best guess.

Elanger likes this.
  3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Your robe is very lovely. It is a bit difficult to date as we cannot really see the cut and shape of the robe very well. Due to the fact that it is linen, I suspect this is older than WWII era. Possibly pre 1920s. But again, hard to tell.

Elanger likes this.
  4. Elanger

Elanger Registered Guest

Thank you!

5. Elanger

Elanger Registered Guest

Thanks for your help!

6. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

I don't think it's linen. Linen is very absorbent. I'm not sure that a drop of water will tell you much unless you have other fibers to compare it with.

A better picture of fabric would help, but I'm guessing rayon.

7. Elanger

Elanger Registered Guest

Here are a few more pictures of the fabric including one of a frayed area where you can see the threads:

Attached Files:

8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It looks more like a raw silk to me and 1930s from Japan.

Elanger likes this.