1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Info/dating on this hand painted vest?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Azuli, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Azuli

Azuli Registered Guest

Hi everyone,

I stopped by my local thrift store and saw this interesting vest. It is signed but I can’t tell the signature and am having trouble dating it. Any help would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

I'm thinking 70s and it's adorable! I could see it with a pair of high waisted pants.

Azuli likes this.
  3. Azuli

Azuli Registered Guest

Thank you! That was my first guess as well.

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

5. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

That's fantastic. I doubt the signature is anyone well known, I would guess it's someone's home craft project, or a small scale artisan maker.

The stitching appears to be over the paint, so it was first painted and then quilted to follow the design. I wonder if the painter and the sewer were the same person? It's the kind of piece I really wish could talk!

Azuli likes this.
  6. Azuli

Azuli Registered Guest

Very interesting! Thanks so much for the insight. I'd definitely want to know what this person was like. Such a cool piece.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  7. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

The signature looks to me like Murai and I found online a few artists with that surname, but I didn’t look for signatures.

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.