1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. shadyoak

shadyoak Registered Guest

Hello all.

I am new to the forum. I am hoping someone can assist with a question for a plastic bracelet we purchased in a lot of jewelry at an estate auction.

Could this be a Bakelite item? If so, is there a manufacturer color code for this such as butterscotch or other?

This weighs approximately 2 oz. It tapers in at the openings. The color is consistent all over. I do not see any mold lines. It does have a chemical odor after rubbing it for a period of time or running hot tap water over it for a period of time.

Any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your consideration.

Attached Files:

2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

It looks and sounds like a Butterscotch Bakelite Bangle to me from your photos and description of the odor. The other difference between Bakelite and other plastics is that it is generally heavier than plastic, and it makes more of a clack than a clunk if you click it against another piece of Bakelite.

3. shadyoak

shadyoak Registered Guest

Thank you Linn for your helpful feedback.

4. JulieThomas

JulieThomas Registered Guest

Agree with Linn, I think. Bakelite tends to have a formaldehyde smell when wetted.