1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Tags:
  1. Joebuck356

Joebuck356 Registered Guest

I don’t know if this is allowed here. But I figure if anyone can help it’s this forum. Me and my dad found this in the walls as part of insulation in an old probably 1850s log cabin. I was wondering if anyone may have any information on it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

It looks like an old advertisement or part of a catalog. It's super cool! I love old finds like this!

Joebuck356 likes this.
  3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

How interesting, makes one wonder if they used other sheets from it. So it is 1895-1896, correct?

Curious what does it say in the center?

4. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

What a wonderful discovery! I am so glad you shared it with us. I wonder if that 1850s log cabin was never insulated until around the time of this ad. Is the log cabin also located around Chicago? I, too, wonder if there might be other interesting things inside those walls.

If that is your own log cabin, I would frame that piece, as a wonderful reminder of the cabin's past!

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  5. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

exactly! this is fabulous!!

6. Joebuck356

There were also newspapers from around 1881 or so up to 1929. But they were deteriorated so bad we only got the dates. And it’s a log cabin in central Kentucky.

7. Joebuck356

Yes it’s 1895-1896. And I’m not sure what the center says. The letters are mostly worn away except for the little I can make out which I believe is “honest goods low prices“ then something and I believe guarantee below it. I was mainly trying to see if anyone knew any of the history of the company. This was found in central Kentucky.

8. Joebuck356

The log cabin is in rough shape. My dads looking at buying it for the land mainly. The landowner gave us permission to remove the covering paneling to look at the logs. The only thing you could really do with the cabin is tear it down and try to salve the few good logs left.