1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips on safely cleaning 1950s 60s bright colored cotton gloves

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by anothertimevintageapparel, May 21, 2020.

1. I have several pair with light soiling on the fingers only. Unfortunately, a light soak will not remove these. When I add anything more intense, they fade terribly.

By mistake I used my Oxiclean spray which ruined the orange pair.

Any suggestions?

2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

For gloves, I *generally* use that flake soap as used to be used to clean baby clothes.

3. I wonder if I can still find that? Does it remove stains without a lot of soaking?

4. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

If they were mine, I'd use a mild detergent on the stains, let that sit for 15 minutes, gently work the stained area between your fingers, and let them soak for several hours in cool water (each color separately). Rinse and repeat if necessary (maybe even for 24-hour soak). I use Eucalan for a lot of hand wash items.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  5. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I get Zote (a bar soap) at the grocery store!

6. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Maggie, do you use any of the scented Eucalans? I want something subtle and fresh and wondered if you have a fave?

7. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

@laurenm I do! I really like the lavender and the grapefruit—they are exceptionally natural and not at all overbearing. There is also an unscented.

8. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

thanks @denisebrain
    That's the direction my nose was taking me!

9. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member