1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Givenchy scarf, 60's or 70's or what?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Robin of Frocksley, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

I'm so thankful for all your awesome advice! Here's another mystery (to me, at least). Anyone know when this pattern was popular? I checked the label resource, but saw no scarf labels. Does that mean it would be helpful to add this label to the resource?
    029.jpg 028.jpg

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I do think you're in the right ball park, gold and fushia say more 60's to me than 70's, as does the made in Japan label. Have you tried looking up when the retailer was in business?

3. Robin of Frocksley

Glad you see 60's too. I did a bit of searching on the retailer, but couldn't find anything. I'll keep digging:)

4. I would try and find out when Givenchy added a © symbol to their scarves. I would expect Givenchy to have made their scarves in France - most of the high-end French designer scarves during that time period that I have come across were made in France - so that is something to look into as well.

Looking forward to seeing what you discover about Robinson & Golluber.

5. Robin of Frocksley

This is a page from the Dry Goods Reporter, volume 44 from the year 1914. So they've been around for a while I guess! Still digging..
    screenshot10.png

6. Robin of Frocksley

Also from 1914, from the Trade Review, volume 1. No luck with anything more recent yet..
    screenshot11.png

7. I found some interesting things using Google advanced search:

It looks like they changed the name of their outlets in 1970 to The Accessory House:
    http://www.trademarkia.com/the-accessory-house-72348180.html

But no scarves tagged The Accessory House can be found; so I assume they still
    tagged their items R&G. I found a late 70s Anne Klein coat with her lion head
    logo and the R&G.

The Accessory House expired in '92 and that's where the trail ends for R&G,
    as well.

Here's an obit for a person who worked at R&G as a buyer until the early 90s:
    http://obits.nj.com/obituaries/starledger/obituary.aspx?pid=162628097

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
    Robin of Frocksley likes this.
  8. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

I have a Givenchy scarf with the exact same tag so just wondering if anyone found out since what the connection between Givenchy and Robinson & Golluber was as well as the period during which they worked with Givenchy. I think my scarf is from the late 60s but hoping to confirm.

Thanks
    Victoria
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

9. Henry Wilkinson

Henry Wilkinson VFG Member

I have to admit, I've not heard of Robinson & Golluber before, but I will say I've seen this label before and have no reason to believe it's fake. Givenchy often sold his designs to American clients through companies like I. Magnin and Lord & Taylor. Especially with ready-to-wear pieces like this.
    It's also worth noting that the font of the label is the same used in the Givenchy Nouvelle Boutique label. The Nouvelle Boutique line was established in 1968, so I believe this scarf to be from after 1968, going into the 1970s.

I hope that helps!

10. Vintagiality

Thank you so much for your prompt response @Henry Wilkinson
    Does that mean they were made by Givenchy and then sent to the US to be sold by these companies or was it more of a name licensing deal?

Thanks again!

11. Henry Wilkinson

Henry Wilkinson VFG Member

My pleasure! The answer is: it depends. If they were selling Givenchy couture at I. Magnin, for example, they would be made in the Paris ateliers (as per the regulations of haute couture) and then sent to the American department stores. I have a Givenchy couture piece sold through I. Magnin which states on the label it was made in France.
    Ready-to-wear items, however, did not have to be made by Givenchy in France and often weren't. As you can see, this scarf was made in Japan so it was more of a name licensing deal.

Retro Ruth and Vintagiality like this.
  12. Vintagiality