1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having trouble identifying my bag! 1970s handbag

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by rosieb, Jun 15, 2020.

1. rosieb

rosieb Registered Guest

Hello all,

I recently acquired a handbag from a family member and have no idea of how to identify what leather/skin it is. I am a handbag lover, but unfortunately have very little knowledge on vintage items!

The only background information I have on the bag is that it was purchased in the early 1970’s in Kenya. It is real leather and a faux suede interior (pictures attached).

I cannot find any markings on the hardware, and am also struggling to find any similar bags online!

Any ideas/advice would be much appreciated!

thanks in advance :)

upload_2020-6-15_22-46-17.jpeg upload_2020-6-15_22-46-48.jpeg upload_2020-6-15_22-47-32.jpeg upload_2020-6-15_22-47-55.jpeg

Distantdetails likes this.
  2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I believe that's alligator.

Are you sure the interior is faux and not real suede?

3. rosieb

rosieb Registered Guest

Wow amazing, thank you for your reply!

And no I am not certain that the interior is faux suede! To be honest, the only reason I assumed it was faux suede was as it appears to be in such good condition (I am no expert on suede haha).

I have had a closer look and the interior does seem to be sensitive to water, so it is likely to be real suede :)

thank you for your help

Retro Ruth likes this.
  4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Usually if the outside is real skin, the inside is real suede, unless its fabric. There will be exceptions of course.

rosieb likes this.