1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eloise Curtis for Happenstance

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Lori Ammons, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Lori Ammons

Lori Ammons Registered Guest

Eloise Curtis for Happenstance. Designed for Hess's Department Store's French Room between 1968-73. A really great weave pattern with contrasting collar, cuffs, faux pocket flaps. Original buttons and snaps. I dry cleaned and the white just came alive. Love the fitted waist with just a little flare below. IMG_6140 (3).JPG IMG_6141 (3).JPG

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

What a glorious fabric. The main fabric actually looks like a knit, not sure if that's just an illusion.

3. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

There's that French mystique again!
    Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 1.26.41 PM.png

4. Lori Ammons

Lori Ammons Registered Guest

At first I thought it was some kind of wool but it is too soft, there is no "wool" tag, and I have never seen a pattern like this in wool (which really doesn't mean much at this point since I am new to this) but I think you are right a knit of some kind but a fabulous pattern and love how the trim is a complementary pattern without being an exact match. It was the buttons that sold me though! If this was my size I'd throw it on over a pair of jeans and wear it straight through from Fall to Spring. I have to get the book they wrote all about Hess's department store, it is on Amazon. Anyone know what happened to Eloise Curtis? Last info I could find she got married then she seems to drop off the face of the earth.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    Retro Ruth and gatco like this.
  5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Great jacket - I'd wear that in a heartbeat too :). I have a ton of vintage and secondhand suit jackets that I wear with jeans from fall to spring, and some lighter cotton jackets for cool summer mornings or evenings, most of them also blazer-style. Anything from black with elegant details via hot pink to wild flower prints.

Lori Ammons and gatco like this.