1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with dating/information on a LUREX piece!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by themuseupstairs, Jul 30, 2020.

1. themuseupstairs

themuseupstairs Registered Guest

Hello! I found this dress at a Goodwill in Winter Park FL. I have tried to do research on the piece but am coming up inconclusive due to the tag/brand and style of the dress. I know that LUREX is the name of the metallic thread material but the tag (photo below) looks as if it was possibly the brand name. Does anyone know what time period this dress may have been from based on the form or have any information about LUREX as a brand or the tag in general. Any help or insight would so very appreciated. Thank You!! IMG_7055.jpg IMG_7056.jpg IMG_7039 (1).jpg IMG_7038 (1).jpg

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Lurex is a trade mark for the metallic thread - like Hoover is a trade mark for vacuum cleaners. The best known brand sometimes becomes so associated with the product, that everyone calls it a hoover, even if it was made by someone else. Same with Lurex.

https://www.lurex.com/

Ursula Brych "Junge Mode" is the brand /maker of the dress.

I'm getting a 1960s vibe, maybe? 60s does 20s. What kind of fastenings does it have?

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Looks 60s does 20s to me. The shop was in Germany?

themuseupstairs likes this.
  4. themuseupstairs

Thank you so much! I will need to look into LUREX a little more. I am new to researching vintage and really appreciate your help.
    I have attached a photo of the fastening. Thank you again!!
    IMG_7058.jpg

5. themuseupstairs

The shop I found this in was in Winter Park, Florida. Guessing it somehow made it's way over and was placed in a Goodwill. I am so happy with the find, it's a personal piece for me and I just had to know a little more about it. Thank you for the input though. Every little thing helps!! :)

6. Retro Ruth

Does that zip have metal teeth? If so I feel pretty confident on 60s. It's a great dress, I love it.

7. themuseupstairs

Ruth,
    It looks as if it is some sort of plastic. I have attached a photo below. The mystery continues!!
    Screensho (1).jpg

8. Retro Ruth

Hmm not sure. I think that zip is not impossible for the 1960s, but not so common.

I'd wait for some other opinions on the date.

9. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I would guess the shop was in Germany. I googled it - couldn't find anything. I do think the Lurex label only refers to the material. Looking at it, my first reflex was possibly 1960s too, but the zipper makes me second guess...

Retro Ruth likes this.
  10. Retro Ruth

does it have any other labels? Any care labels?

11. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

When I hear "Lurex", I think 1970s. My three sisters and I wore so much of it!! We called it lurid Lurex.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  12. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

I looked up "Ursula Brych" on Newspapers.com, and nothing showed up. I thought that I might find an ad or something like that, but no luck.

13. I guess I'm the odd one out... I'm thinking more recent...
    Can you provide a better lit and better focused photo of the labels?
    No other labels on the sides seams, etc?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  14. Retro Ruth

Since I saw the zip I'm also thinking more recent.

15. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

I was going to say the same. That zipper looks more recent to me

16. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

It might look more recent to some, with that zipper, yes. But, if it is recent, why would a company use Lurex as a way to sell the garment? Lurex was no longer a selling point after the 1970s, as it had been around for 2 decades at that point. So it seems it must be earlier. Also "Young Modes" seems such a 60s or 70s term to me also. Zipper aside, I am still thinking this is older, 60s or 70s.

17. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

18. Retro Ruth

Very good points Barbara.

I hope the OP will let us know about any other labels.

19. themuseupstairs

So sorry for the late response. There are no other labels on the garment. No washing or care instructions.

I can provide a better photo of the labels after work today.