1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help w/ unusual stamp on Levi's label - jacket, 70505, 60s ?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by cloudsofviolet, Jul 28, 2020.

1. cloudsofviolet

cloudsofviolet Registered Guest

Hi!

Got this jacket and I would like to know if the stamp has any purpose or use, or if the jacket is indeed 60s

Attached Files:

2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Hmm... this one is tough. There's a Big E which would date it to early 70s at the very latest but that care label looks 70s at the earliest. Also, Levi's was known for putting care instructions on the back of the labels, the front directing the consumer to the verso side for instructions.

What is the serial number on the patch label? I would look into that a little for clues.

I would spend some time with the Heddel's checklist and slow and steady go down the list till you narrow it down. There are stitching color combos used that might help you. Also the buttons... it's a LOT to look at, I know.

Good mystery!

3. cloudsofviolet

thank you!!

70505-0217

Yeah, I was a little put off as there were so many out there . . . but I've kind of narrowed it down a bit, still not sure but I wouldn't say its rare

Uploaded some photos of color combos stitching =)

4. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I *think* it's a Levi's reproduction...they reproduced their own designs. I'm leaning toward this because of the presence of the Big E tab AND the care label.

5. cloudsofviolet

Can I send you a direct message / inbox message / email through the system? I found something some more info on a website called Second Sunrise of someone named douglas luhanko.

6. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Post here. Then all can benefit from the thinking aloud and learning. : )

7. cloudsofviolet

Thank you.
    I will post link to article :
    https://secondsunrise.se/blogs/news/second-sunrise-archive-deadstock-70505-type-3-jacket?page=4

my comment on article:
    Hi,

I have a 70505 0217 jacket w 52 on the rivets, big R and a approx '71 (based on heddles and other sources) care label attached the normal way (non-paper care label), wpl 423

Is it somewhat possible the jacket was made by levi's in the 60s or 71? or more likely an LVC .
    Looking at his comments, he seems to respond so hopefully something should be interesting.

8. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I cannot wait to hear his reply. That care label is really throwing me... I just wouldn't bet my sweet puppy's life on it yet. ; )

9. cloudsofviolet

UPDATE: posted about it on a levis research group on FB that seems to be reliable and relatively informed. Got positive responses. Also found out via heddles that levis started using care instructions on their jeans in 1968, and those instructions mirror the one's on my jacket - so maybe?? And, Apparently they do show up quite a bit w/ the big E and care label so maybe there were a few months in 71 pre E change and post care labeling regulations?

Found out more about the stamp - apparently it's the name of a shop and it or name was profiled in an special edition of a japanese street fashion magazine. going to try to get my hands on this edition, just waiting for a copy to show up cheap enough on mercuri or whatever.

GemGem likes this.
  10. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Fascinating update!!

GemGem and MagsRags like this.
  11. Seekerseller

Seekerseller Registered Guest

Hi there,

just wondering if you ever found out anything about the 52 stamp. I have a similar jacket. 52 stamp, big E, care label and small patch.

I’d love to find out more about it. Even if you could let me know which magazine it was mentioned?

thanks.

GemGem likes this.
  12. victoryvtg

victoryvtg Registered Guest

Hello there . . . the 52 stamp has no significance besides helping date. I can't remember a lot about the "stamps" on the rivets. I was mostly concerned about the stamps on the leather patch/ lable. anyways, I would rec joining the FB group. I would not recommend buying the magazine if all you're concerned about is the stamp . . .