1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Finding a Vintage Blanket

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Sam Janjua, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Sam Janjua

Sam Janjua Registered Guest

I’ve had this blanket my entire life. My grandfather gave it to my mom when she got married. Sadly it is falling apart and is too delicate to be washed. I retired it about 1 year and a half ago but I can’t sleep without it. I have been trying to figure out the brand and material for years. I think it’s some kind of acrylic or wool with satin binding. It would be great if you guys could help me figure out who made it and what the material is. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Those are great blankets! I remember them fondly.
    They have some similarities to Beacon blankets, but are usually lighter weight, machine washable, and rayon/cotton not wool.

I did a quick search on Etsy, and I think you will have some good options there by searching "camp blanket"

Distantdetails and Sam Janjua like this.
  3. Sam Janjua

Thank you so much! It is great! Any idea what brand it is ? The pattern on mine is so different from most other camp blankets and it’s always baffled me. But I am not picky on looks, it can look like anything as long as it feels exactly the same.

4. topazera

topazera Registered Guest

Ooh, I've looked for something a little like this! I think I searched for them as "1940s reversible blankets" and then went to "vintage camp blankets". I think they're most known for the Beacon or Esmond labels, though a number of companies put out something similar. Orr is my favorite label for these but I actually don't think they're going to be closest to yours, since they're made of wool and more known for their large scale floral designs. I think Maggie is right and yours might be a cotton or rayon? It looks less dense than the wool ones at least but I'm so bad at looking at something and knowing what material it is! I hope you can really narrow down which material you should be searching for (maybe you should do a burn test on your existing blanket??) because that's what would replicate the right feel.

Esmond might be the closest I've seen to your pattern (although I haven't seen a picture of the whole thing) just because they seem to have done a lot of floral borders with geometric centers. It reminds me of this one in the middle, from this article:
    [​IMG]

And I think the texture looks potentially similar, as seen here:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

And like I said, more labels than this have done similar blankets. But hopefully you at least have a couple more search terms to poke around with and see if anything looks familiar! Good luck!!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  5. Sam Janjua

Thank you so much for your detailed response! Unfortunately that is the whole thing in the images attached. It’s a balled and tangled mess. I don’t know much about stitching and fabrics but they have come loose. It began with one whole and then started to break apart into sheds both the main part and binding. Actually the reason why I retired it was because it left a mess of red dust like particles all over my room and hair brush that were impossible to clean (TMI sorry!) I ended up purchasing this, as it’s the closest thing I have come across over the years. But I haven’t seen or felt it in person so I can’t be sure. I will try to take better close up pictures of the fabric of my blankie to post here.

6. Sam Janjua

Pix of the replacement I just ordered

Attached Files:

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  7. MagsRags

Ooh, I like the look of that one!

Sam Janjua likes this.
  8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

What a great posting and great responses! Bates also made some similar blankets, but usually heavier.

I know we have many members here on the VFG who love and collect antique blankets. Since moving to a warm climate, I sold most of mine but still have 2 that I can never part with. so I understand how important a blanket can be to good sleep and memories.

Sam Janjua likes this.
  9. Sam Janjua

Thanks! Fingers crossed it’s the same material!

10. Sam Janjua

Thanks! Question, what is VFG? I’m new here and not familiar with the acronyms yet. Thanks for the Bates suggestion, I will definitely check them out.

11. Sam Janjua

Just to add, one of the properties of the blanket was it kept me cool, not sure if it was moisture wicking or if it was just the satin binding, but the entire blanket takes me back to my childhood especially when the room temp is cooler, both the binding and rest of the blanket felt cool to the touch. I have tried other materials after taking it to Joann’s to have an associate help me identify the fabric, it was similar but the binding was stiff and not silky like the original. Based on the image of the replacement I just purchased, I think it has the exact same binding as the original. That’s one part of it that I distinctly remember. Anyone know what kind of material the binding is?

12. Sam Janjua

Here are close-ups of my blankie. Sorry I know it’s an eye sore and I appreciate everyone taking the time to look and help me with this!

Attached Files:

13. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Your blanket looks like a woven textile. Not your regular wool blanket fabric.

Sam Janjua likes this.
  14. Sam Janjua

thank you!

15. MagsRags

VFG is the Vintage Fashion Guild. You are posting in the VFG forums. We are "an international organization dedicated to the promotion and preservation of vintage fashion. Founded in 2002, ... it grew to a vintage-fashion knowledge base exceeding any other web-based source."

You are in the public forums, where non-members can chat about vintage, and ask for help and opinions. When you see "Trade Members" or "Staff Members" below our avatars, you know we are members of the organization, who have demonstrated a good level of experience, knowledge and ethics regarding vintage fashion and accessories.

Also maybe childhood blankets.:USETHUMBUP:

Sam Janjua likes this.
  16. Sam Janjua

Oh ok t
    oh ok ! Tysm !!

MagsRags likes this.