1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating this Lorrie Deb wedding dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Bella84, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Bella84

Bella84 Registered Guest

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum (completely clueless about fashion) and I was wondering if anyone could help me identify in what decade (maybe year ?) this wedding dress designed by Lorrie Deb has been made please? From the label I can see that it has been made between 1974 and 1995, but I would love to know what decade it falls in.

Could anybody go through the design of the dress with me please (e.g. sleeves era, lower part of the dress type of design/description/characteristic....).

Also, if anybody has any information (anything) about the designer Lorrie Deb (from San Francisco) to share with me I would be the most grateful.

I fell in love and purchased this dress on Etsy last week hopping to wear it for my elopement (wedding) in the Connemara (Ireland) next year but I would love to know more about it, what the design means and where it comes from.

Thank you in advance.

Wishing you all a beautiful day!

(if it’s not too much to ask, what shoes would you wear with it considering it’s most likely going to be wet and muddy in the country side). C9B3AC8A-9DCF-4720-97E5-B1E245776A28.png 29358792-8760-43FA-8C49-4FCC83107CC0.png DD6AD6B3-8BCC-4C69-B72B-09406F685062.png DCDDD66D-99F6-4E62-8F0C-963C54EE3116.png 164D53B5-81C2-4DEF-9D7E-5FEBC9F384B5.png 3FF7B230-4B93-494A-BC10-5DCE3CE8C20E.png 9C08029E-C5D9-4D43-925E-584ADEE59200.png F0BD2A7F-AEEB-447D-BD8B-E049C1A1FF84.png B9125EED-2E64-4257-AF21-5F5A0D06DC8B.png 03F968A0-269B-4891-B585-5865C07B6D0F.jpeg

Retro Ruth likes this.
  2. Racked Vintage

Racked Vintage Alumni VFG Past President

This is 1970s...gorgeous ethereal style gown. I don't know much about the company history but have seen this label many times over the years. Sadly, I checked our label resource and do not see it listed there either. Hope this helped a little. Beautiful dress. :)

Robin of Frocksley and Bella84 like this.
  3. Bella84

Bella84 Registered Guest

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question and thank you for sharing some information you had about the dress. As mentioned in my post, I fell in love with this dress, bought it before it was gone (4 other people had it in their Etsy basketS) and now I want to know more about it.

Have a nice day!

4. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

Hi, I love your dress! I am not an expert but it looks late 70s or early 80s to me. I would describe it as a prairie style. The sleeves are sheer and full (please correct me if I'm using the wrong terminology anyone!), and the skirt is tiered. This style of sleeve was popular in different decades, for instance I own a 60s cocktail dress with sheer full sleeves and a 90s cocktail dress with sheer full sleeves.

I would definitely wear classic prairie boots with it, vintage if you can find them.

You look so beautiful in your dress. Congrats on your upcoming wedding!!

I am hoping the experts will weigh in soon on dating and more precise descriptive terms.

Bella84 and Retro Ruth like this.
  5. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

Agree with Janice's dating. I got so excited about the dress I didn't notice an expert had already replied!!

6. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Pretttttty! It looks quite a bit like the gown on the left here. This is from the newspaper is The Leader, the Garland Times Tremonton, Utah, Thursday, June 16, 1977

Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 9.42.24 AM.png

Lorrie Deb specialized in special occasion dresses. (There were a number of designers, and Lorrie Deb is the label's name, not a person's name.)

Super romantic style, in the same vein as Gunne Sax.

GemGem, Bella84 and MagsRags like this.
  7. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

@Bella84
    So lovely!
    We'd love to add this label to our Label Resource. How to submit is here.

Bella84 and MagsRags like this.
  8. Bella84

Bella84 Registered Guest

Tank you so much everyone for your help! I really appreciate it.

PS: The girl in the picture isn’t me, I believe it is the seller of the dress. I posted screenshots I took from Etsy, where I bought it. The dress is currently en route to Ireland from the USA. I will share pictures of the dress and the tags as soon as I receive it, if that’s any good/help to the professional seamstresses and designers of this website and remove the ones above as I don’t own them.

9. MaryMeVintage

MaryMeVintage Registered Guest

Beautiful prairie style dress! I would wear a white or nude ankle booty made of smooth vinyl without laces. Make sure you have a cloth to wipe off the mud for pictures, etc. Top off the booty with a pretty white lace sock. Perfect!

Bella84 likes this.
  10. Bella84

Bella84 Registered Guest

Hi, thank you for answering my question. I will look at the shoes you recommended.

Have a beautiful day!

11. Sara Darkhart

Sara Darkhart Registered Guest

This Lorrie Deb was Emma Domb's answer to Jessica McClintock's Gunne Sax label. Emma's sister(?) was Lorraine Domb Steinberg. The Lorrie line was named after her.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  12. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Unsure about the last picture, its a different dress, was this just to show the kind of location for the wedding?

I agree with everyone's dating, very 70s romantic style.