1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A couple of finds

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Avantbo, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Today I tackled a part of my collection I had been dreading there is so much of it, hot and sticky today, an early start, but it has been a great one

I was finding items I had forgotten about, I was finding items I didn't know I had, the two below fall in to the latter, no great shakes, just nice to come across.

The first a ladies, riding/shooting, certainly country wear Tweed Jacket, Moss Bros Brand and shower proof, circa 1947-into the 50s, I should think ?, there is some damage and has been extensively repaired in past times.

Hadn't known Moss Bros sold ladies attire.

The 2nd, never worn and as new, a 60s to early 70s Polyester Men's Jacket, ( altho' the shape of the collar is throwing me a bit--more 50s), not a blemish on it, HG brand.

One of my favorite finds of today, for it simplicity,--yes simple but reeks 50s, white leather, Italian clutch bag, just stylish, nothing to it., Just a pair of 50s Brivets or Nisols to top it off--and a lady clutching it of course.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    Distantdetails likes this.
  2. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

"Shower proofed" - that's interesting.

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Great riding jacket, pity about the issues...really looks like a Harris Tweed. Love the cut of this one.

Can we see a label for the windbreaker, to help with the decade.

Also, did you mean to include a photo of the last item you mentioned?

4. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hello Mary Jane,

Gosh I have not heard the term " WindBreaker" for many a year.

I hadn't included a photo of the clutch bag because I had forgotten to take one.

Also found a small " Pixie " 50s faux skin case, good condition, utterly filthy exterior, it's the label I like more then the case.

Attached Files:

5. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I also didn't know that moss bros ever did women's clothing. Interesting. I love that jacket

Regarding your white bag. Ive had or seen several similar clutch bags, with the exact same plastic frame and that lining, in different colours. I'm fairly sure they are 70s-80s. I can see why in white you might think it was 50s. I'll show you mine when I'm at my computer, one is a colour block patchwork leather.

6. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Here are the two bags I had, now sold. . The colourblock one is slightly larger than the other, including the frame, and has a different lining. The maroon one looks near identical to yours, and I've seen a few more of these in my travels, in different colour ways. The linings aren't leather I think. I thought they were 80s, but I did wonder if they might be 70s.

I really like these bags too, the simplicity as you say.

DSC_1072.jpg

DSC_1069.jpg
    DSC_1067.jpg

DSC_0815.jpg DSC_0818.jpg DSC_0814.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hello Ruth,

Lovely, really lovely.

My bag is identical to your maroon one save for the colour, I took a slightly better shot of the internal lining and frame, I wonder who made them?.

70s or 80s, it makes more sense, I should have thought about it more, 50s 60s era it would have more then likely had a cloth lining, not PVC.

Still it could never be doubted it had been opened or closed, " click "!

I have been viewing the other bag thread too, DROOLING I is.

What leather cleaner/restorer/feed should I use, wondering what everyone else uses?

Attached Files:

Retro Ruth likes this.
  8. Alison Cloonan

Alison Cloonan Registered Guest

The tweed jacket is a Hodges Houndstooth tweed jacket we are a vintage tweed company that specializes in such beautiful tweed jackets and get many Hodges Tweeds made in the UK.