1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPOTLIGHT ON VINTAGE: HANDBAGS

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Linn, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Lynne,

They are fabulous!!! SPOTLIGHT ON VINTAGE threads will remain open for anyone to post their items. Have you ever used any of them as a handbag? So creative and unique!!!

2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Thank you for the very kind words. I use one of the bags every day and for at least September I am using the school purse at the bottom of the stairs.

3. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

Lynne, those are so cool and I love the way you have them displayed.

I'm glad you bumped this as I have one last image to share.
    WDANDBEADED.jpg
    These are some of my favorite purses - two deco Whiting and Davis mesh flapper bags, the one on the right is a rare Elasah with a celluloid frame and handle. I love the 1920s fringed beaded bag with the celluloid link handle because it has my initial M on it. And the beautiful 1930s beaded bag on the bottom right was made by my grandmother-in-law so I am very attached to it.

4. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

So many lovely and fun bags.

I've always wondered about the background of this bag. My father gave it to my mother 60+ years ago for Christmas and she cried. They travelled a great deal and he gave her many lovely things, so perhaps it was strictly sentimental. She even sewed a "reward if lost" tag inside with her address. I have had it on a shelf to admire, but certainly would never use it. I was thinking about selling it, but it seems there are so many of these French beaded purses out there... protected in drawers over the years, etc. Is there anything special about this? It has very small sequins.

purse.jpg DSCF0005.JPG DSCF0006.JPG
    DSCF0007.JPG

Attached Files:

5. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Well, yes there is something special...it is beautiful.

6. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Thanks Lynne - any suggestions for cleaning it? Because it has been exposed in my living room (and I heat with wood) it is dusty and a bit grungey.

7. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Amanda, I am not a conservator, but the general rule of thumb is not do anything that isn’t reversible.

I would only suggest very carefully brushing the beads and sequins with a smallish soft brush, such as a soft makeup brush, which you would wipe down frequently, so you aren’t just spreading the dust or soot around. You would then want to cover and protect it from sunlight, humidity, extreme changes in temperature, and, of course, more dust.

8. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

I'm a little late to the party, but I brought a few of my handbags.
    In the first photo, the one on the left was made by one of students. It's a cell phone size.
    The other bag is quilted and came from a thrift store. I've used it a lot.
    The gold bag is an unusual Judith Lieber. It has stones at both ends. I think it came from a resale shop. Do you have any thoughts about the date?
    The Andy Warhol is probably a knock-off of some kind. It has a Burberry plaid lining and it's not a quality bag.
    The last bag was a Christmas gift in the early 60s.
    I didn't realize that I had so many bags and, as you can see, they range from very cheap to quite nice.

IMG_4844.JPG

IMG_4844.JPG IMG_4845.JPG IMG_4846.JPG IMG_4849.JPG IMG_4850.JPG IMG_4853.JPG

lkranieri likes this.
  9. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

I have a few more bags. I would appreciate some thoughts about dating, etc. on these.
    The needlepoint bag has a handle on the back so you can hold it when dancing. I also have a leather bag with the handle.
    The gold/silver still has its coin purse. I have no idea how old it is or where it was made.
    The purple bag is a slightly different Bottega Veneta. I bought it had a resale shop.
    I have no idea where I bought the green fabric bag. It has a London label along with a Chinese mark and Chinese fabric on the outside.

IMG_4847.JPG IMG_4848.JPG IMG_4863.JPG IMG_4864.JPG IMG_4854.JPG IMG_4855.JPG

Vinclothes and lkranieri like this.