1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPOTLIGHT ON VINTAGE: VETERANS

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Linn, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

These are all incredible and moving stories, and wonderful photos.

This is my Grandfather, Walter Krazer in his WWI Marine uniform. He fought in almost every major battle in Europe and came back with many medals. He also brought back a new bride, my grandmother, from Germany!

And my father, William and my Mom, Mildred during WWII when they were dating. He has on his U.S. Navy togs. Hard to see how handsome he really was, his eyes were deep blue, he had wonderful blonde curls on his head, and stood almost 6'4" tall.

walter.JPG mom dad 40s.jpg

2. Late to the party but...

A favorite veteran of mine (circled), my father Jan, code name "Wilk" ("Wolf"), 227th Scout Platoon, Battalion Zyrafa (Giraffe). His scout group fought in the Warsaw Uprising of 1944. At age 16, he was one of the boys running messages/weapons/supplies through the sewers of Warsaw, aka a "sewer rat", and performing acts of sabotage. The insurgents did not receive the expected help from the Allies and the Uprising ended in failure after 63 days. Dad spent the final year of the war in a German POW camp.
    HERE IS A LINK TO A MEMOIR, including detailed descriptions of what it was like in those sewers, written by one of Dad's fellow platoon members.

daduprising2.jpg

lkranieri likes this.
  3. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Donna, what an incredible history. I'm so glad your father made it home.

The Vintage Vendeuse likes this.
  4. Thank you, me too! :)

Distantdetails and denisebrain like this.