1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dorothée Bis knitted dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by emmasknitwear, Nov 30, 2020.

1. emmasknitwear

emmasknitwear Registered Guest

Hi everyone! I found this dress in a thrift shop a while ago. Labeled: Dorothée Bis, a French fashion label, especially for knitwear, founded 1958 by Jacqueline and Elie Jacobson. As far as I know they made knitted dresses during the 60s in mini, midi and maxi, more multi-layered fashion during the 70s and a lot of glamourized designs during the 80s. My question is: Is it 60s, 70s, or 80s? There is also a matching two-colored knitted belt. The collar can be buttoned up. The colorblocking design looks like 80s. But it also feels very 1960 - figure-hugging, rib knitted, no padded shoulders, and nearly ankle-length. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance! Emma

Attached Files:

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Bis is notoriously difficult to date because its not trendily following the leading fashion, but rather stays on the artsy side of classic styling. However, with that hem length, I would think its somewhere from the late 70s to early 80s...

emmasknitwear likes this.
  3. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

Oh...I love that!

4. emmasknitwear

Hmmm - yes, but the hem length might also fit to a maxi dress from the 60s. There is a Dorothée Bis label from the 70s here on the VFG, it looks different. It's really difficult :(

5. The spilt cowl neck and length look very similar to the designs of 1980s clothing that I have.

6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

This is beautiful! Going by the care label and the collar style, I would also tend to 80s. Here's an 80s pattern with a similar style collar that I acquired recently:
    Burda 7132_1.jpg

7. emmasknitwear

Okay - thanks everybody!

8. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I just noticed its a heavy ribbed knit - so definitely early 80s. If it were 70s it would be a fine knit.

9. Joyatri

Joyatri VFG Member

@emmasknitwear I was researching a sweater I have with the same label on this site: https://www.europeana.eu/en/search?page=1&view=grid&query=Dorothée Bis (If that link doesn't work, just search for "Dorothée Bis" on the main page of that site.

I found your dress. It's from the autumn/winter 1977 women's ready-to-wear collection: https://www.europeana.eu/en/item/2048232/europeana_fashion_54627313_jpg

@Jonathan It looks like she used heavy and fine ribs in the 1970s and 1980s (I looked at all 1440 images).

Unfortunately, I didn't find my sweater (which I've worn to death), but I believe it's late 1970s/very early 1980s.
    bis1.jpg bis2.jpg

10. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I should have stuck with my first thoughts... the ribbing is odd for the 70s, but that's Bis!

emmasknitwear and Joyatri like this.
  11. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Great sleuthing, Jo! The dress looks great on you, Emma.

I know I am often very surprised when I flip through my old Vogue and other Fashion Mags from the late 70s...a lot of the garments look more 80s.

emmasknitwear and Joyatri like this.
  12. emmasknitwear

Thank you!

13. emmasknitwear

Wow!!! You're fantastic!! Thank you so much!!!

Joyatri likes this.