1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ThredUp's 2020 Most Favorited Items

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Distantdetails, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

I received, this morning, the email from ThredUp that revealed its most favorited items in a variety of categories. Important to note: they did not reveal what sold the most, but what was hearted the most.

Keeping in mind that they are not vintage, but may reflect current trends, the two results that stood out were:

No surprise: Burberry was their most frequently favorited label. This matches up with out #1 most searched label in our Label Resources. It has been #1 for all of this year in the Label Resources, and maybe before that. Why is it so popular?

The most frequently favorited in the purse category was the Coach Wristlet. I wonder if that means the smaller vintage purses, especially the one with the band for carrying on your wrist (a different design, yet serves the same purpose), are big sellers for you.

Simply chatter...

2. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

I've wondered about why the Burberry label is always the top searched. Maybe it's a Brit thing? RetroRuth? There must be a ton of Burberry items "over there."

3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

There is a ton of it over here, but I've no idea why it's so popular. I guess they've just got their branding spot on. Why it's more popular than other British heritage brands, like say Aquascutum, I really don't know.

Burberry were struggling with their image some years back, in the 2000s. They became associated with chav culture, and became an almost downmarket brand whose fans were turning away. I guess not helped by all the knock offs. So their popularity backfired and their image suffered. They then did A LOT of work on their image. It must have been successful!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Interesting article! I remember the time when you could get just fake anything with a Burberry check print on - and see it worn by people who buy cheap stuff. Seeing that kind of thing happening puts me off wanting to have anything even looking remotely like that, even if it's vintage, quality, whatever. Much like Vuitton fake-anything was everywhere for a while. The difference, in my perception, is, that Vuitton is still seen though and as I see it, perceived as trendy, but most of the fake stuff seems to have disappeared. Burberry just disappeared from my view except for the mentions in fashion magazines. That's why I keep being surprised by it being the most visited entry in our label resource. So I guess they did manage to pull their image back and there's obviously enough people out there who regard (vintage) Burberry as the thing to have. But then if someone is just wearing a trench coat, you wouldn't know if it was Burberry or not - though I don't see a lot of that on the street here either.

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Interesting! Here in Southern California, I do not see much Burberry being worn on the street. But I seldom see any kind of coat being worn, much less a scarf or hat, even in the Winter. As for the accessories, the only thing I have seen recently was a dog coat and collar! When I complimented the dog's owner on the collar, she said it was a knock off.

I did notice a few years ago that Burberry was starting to sell fairly well again. But I had no idea it was this popular.

Have not seen any wrist purses. Is this 2020's take on the ill-named fanny pack?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    Distantdetails and Retro Ruth like this.
  7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

8. I just sold a "Burberrys" nova plaid lambswool scarf to a man in Minnesota for his wife's Christmas present. He wanted an older scarf. I sold t quickly as it had only been listed for a very short time.