1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most sympathetic way to mend a 1970s dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Impey, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Hi All

I picked up a 1970s (probably) dress online which - despite being told it has no tears etc - when it arrived has a visible fray/pull/hole by the armpit on the front side. I don’t want to just throw it away (not least because I love the pattern), but I have no idea whether it’s possible to mend it or how to do it that will make it least noticeable. Options I have thought of include a random dart (which I’d need to replicate on the other side), moving the sleeve in (which would be a big job and ditto) or some kind of internal patch? I’ve included photos but any advice would be super appreciated!

with thanks

Impey

Attached Files:

2. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Does photo 3 show the fray or your proposed dart? Can you provide a good photo of the fray and where it is in relation to the seam.

3. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Hi Claire

thanks for your reply. Photo 3 is the fray (I’ve not tried anything yet) and hopefully a better
    photo below. Just about every seam on the dress needs reseeding, which is a bit annoying but doable. It’s just the fray I’m really stumped by.

help much appreciated!

Attached Files:

4. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Or even resewing!

5. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

I see your dilemma. It looks like the fabric is a nylon jersey, and you have a run in your nylon!

6. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

My first impulse would be one you mentioned - a narrow dart to enclose it with a matching one under the other arm. The problem is that you will end up with a pucker on the other side of the armhole seam.

7. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Thanks Maggie - I think the reality is that any mend will be imperfect, but it’s better than the ‘run’! And you are entirely right - that is exactly what it looks like - a run in a pair of tights!