1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to identify

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Fran Moore, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Fran Moore

Fran Moore Registered Guest

Sometime during the 1960’s my dad purchased a fur for my mom. He had referred to it often, since it was quite a stretch for our family financially. As far as I know, Mom only wore it once, as she felt uncomfortable indulging in such luxury. However, now both are deceased and I cannot recall what type of fur he said it was. I know nothing about furs...never have I owned one. The only label is the Fur Label Authority tag; no designer label. The liner has a unique design, however. I am hoping someone can help me identify. The label, although faded, seems to read K186650. Thank you for any assistance you can provide. Unfortunately, I cannot get the entire code in one photo.

Attached Files:

2. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Unfortunately these numbers on Fur Label Authority labels are not traceable
    If you post better photos of the fur, one of our fur experts may be able to help with identifying the fur but likely not the maker

3. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

It would be great to see more images of the coat itself, but my first take is that this is sheared beaver.
    Also, this shorter, swing coat style with wide cuffed sleeves and soft shoulders looks 1950s to me.

Vinclothes likes this.
  4. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I agree, probably sheared beaver.
    Marian

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

6. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

I was debating between sheared beaver and mouton lamb as well. If it is beaver, it should feel very silky to the touch. Mouton has a dryer "hand".

7. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I'm thinking mouton but that's going by the photos here. Super duper close up pics, with a hand kind of 'running' through the pile would help. Sounds 'pervy,' but it isn't, I swear. lol lol

MagsRags likes this.
  8. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Mouton would be heavier for the size of the piece.
    Marian

MagsRags likes this.
  9. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

10. Fran Moore

Thank you so much, everyone! “Mouton” is the word Dad always used but that I was having trouble recalling. This coat is pretty heavy. I will work on getting better pictures. And I will look up mouton to find out what it is. Thank you all.

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  11. Fran Moore

Yes, it is pretty heavy and a bit stiff in the back shoulder area.