1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to find out what exactly this is? Elizabeth Arden made in Italy by Gucci?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Debra Stephens, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Debra Stephens

Debra Stephens Registered Guest

Trying to find out what exactly this is and what it’s worth and the story behind this. I found it in my grandmother’s closet. It’s an Elizabeth Arden made in Italy by Gucci.

Attached Files:

2. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

I'm wondering if it is Guccio Gucci, the founder of the Gucci house. In the 1930s I believe he signed his designs with G.Gucci
    The construction of the purse leather looks good, I don't think it is a copy but I could be wrong.

I don't recall Gucci having any collaborations with Elizabeth Arden but I'm wondering how early this purse is?

Do you have idea of it's age?

3. Debra Stephens

unfortunately I do not...But if it’s a fake, I’m not sure why they would make a copy of something that was never made. (As in an Elizabeth Arden and Gucci collaboration)
    It’s strange. I can’t find anything as well on any collaboration between Elizabeth Arden and Gucci so I was thinking it might be quite early in Gucci’s timeline.

4. c.tavernari

c.tavernari Registered Guest

As GemGem has said, Giorgio Gucci signed his designs with G. Gucci in the 1930s, but also later - if we have to trust the information on this website (link below - in Italian), as the label presented in this picture I found on the website is surely not from the 1930s. The label says that is compliant with a law of 26/11/73, so the label in the picture surely is "younger" than 26711/73. However, the font is different, as the writing is in italic. I have still not found any example of G. Gucci the way is marked on the purse.

Here's the link: https://www.museodelmarchioitaliano.it/marchi/gucci.php (in Italian)
    marchio-gucci-06.jpg

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  5. c.tavernari

c.tavernari Registered Guest

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  6. Debra Stephens

This is what I received from Barneby’s:
    “This was a "purchase with purchase" from the 1950s time frame. It could be purchased at a reduced price if you bought Elizabeth Arden products over a certain dollar value (in this case it would have been a fairly high amount).”

GemGem likes this.
  7. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Found another example of the G.GUCCI stamp on a 1930s case. It's a listing on ebay so don't want to post the link as I think it's not allowed.

g.gucci 1930s case.jpg

8. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Oh fantastic! thanks for sharing

9. INVINTAGEV

INVINTAGEV VFG Member

How interesting