1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Identification help please, dating and fabric/occasion 20-40's dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by GemGem, Jan 13, 2021.

1. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Hi again,

This time I have an earlier dress, honestly it could be from the 1910's to the 1940's I just can't place it. It's made of a sort of towelling fabric and has poppers to the front underneath the buttons, apart from that it slips over head and has no ties to the waist either.

There is also a teeny tiny cute pocket which might help with identification of age. I think the buttons are original but look plastic? They look deco to me. There are a few pleats to the back from the nape. and tiny demi/quarter wadded pads under the shoulders

So am wondering the decade and also what kind of occasion this would be for? Is it a house dress? Or day dress? It is quite simple in design and looks absolutely shapeless until it's on when it transforms to a beautiful shape.

The hem sits 2/3 inches below the knee (my friend Kellie is modelling it and she is 5ft7 in height, so it may have been longer as average height was shorter back then) the length from shoulder seam to hem is approx 42.5 inches if that helps,

One thing that gets me every time of early vintage dresses, the way they transform through the design and stitching, just love.

IMG_2853.JPG IMG_2858.JPG IMG_3018.JPG IMG_3022.JPG IMG_3023.JPG IMG_3029.JPG

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It looks 30s to me...let's see what others think.

GemGem likes this.
  3. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I see a 1930's day dress made of cotton gauze fabric. Others? The"wadded pads" sound like sleeve lifters sometimes found in 1930's dresses and blouses. I learned the correct name for these from Hollis
    Marian

4. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree with 30s, and I can't say the fiber, but it looks like there are woven bouclé yarns, giving it that toweling look you mentioned.

Isn't that the best? Clothes were not made to look good on hangers as much as on people.

5. Agree with Maggie: '30s and a woven bloucle'. Would likely have had a matching self-covered belt with a buckle to match the buttons.

6. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Wonderful! Thank you so much, you all covered every question I had! I love this place:wub: it's the overseen heaven and haven of vintage fashion

7. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Brilliant, I agree with a woven boucle yarn completely.

It's such a joy when you come across an old wrinkled piece of fabric and just know it's a gem that it will be glorious once cleaned, steamed/ironed and put on an actual person. It's a little like mining :clapping:

8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

9. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

That is SUCH a gratifying comment! (You can tell anyone you want—we won't object!) :wub:

10. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Fabulous dress! Great find, and it looks to be in lovely condition.

GemGem likes this.