1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Metallic vest - dating and what is method called?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by kittenteethvintage, Jan 17, 2021.

1. kittenteethvintage

kittenteethvintage VFG Member

Hi Everyone,

I picked up this golden vest at an estate sale about a year ago and am just getting around to researching it and am stumped as to dating. Also, it's difficult for me to think I'm searching as well as I could because I don't know exactly what the term for this is. Is it crochet? Lace? Knitting?

The estate sale I got it at was a real digger and had really no other clothing to provide clues as to when it could be from, I pulled this one from our of a box with random knick knacks and books...

The 'thread' is like a metallic wrap around maybe thin cotton cord?

Any thoughts on this one?

Attached Files:

2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I'm pretty sure the cord is as you say, metallic yarn over cotton. (The metallic is most likely the typical-for-the-time aluminum laminated between layers of film or plastic.) It is crocheted from what I can see, and I'd say it dates from the 70s.

This one is not unlike yours—
    Code:
    https://shopgossamer.com/products/1970s-gold-metallic-vest-one-size
    Cool find!

kittenteethvintage likes this.
  3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

It's not knitting. It does look like a very open work crochet. It also reminds me of hair pin lace - especially the circular dangles on the end of the ties. Hair pin lace is made with a crochet hook, and the two techniques are related. It's possible it's a combination of both - I'm not sure.

4. kittenteethvintage

Thanks, Maggie. That one in the link is so very similar to the one I have! 70's was definitely a date range I had in mind but since I had not seen one like this before thought it best to ask the experts.

denisebrain likes this.
  5. kittenteethvintage

Thank you for the info! :)

Retro Ruth likes this.