1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you help me identify this fur?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Debi Fuchs, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Debi Fuchs

Debi Fuchs Registered Guest

Hello, I thought this vintage stole was mink, but now that I have it home, I don’t think it is. Does anyone recognize it? I looked through fur descriptions and I think it might be sable. It’s super light, super soft and is a rich deep brown and has some silver/white hairs. Thank you in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Debi -

I have looked at this several times and I'm stumped. It looks like mink to me - I can see why you think it might be sable and I can even see raccoon because of the length of the fur. I was going to suggest that you look through the VFG Fur Resource but from what you've written it appears you already have!

I hope someone who knows fur better than I do comes along to help. Otherwise, I suggest you take it to a furrier.

3. Debi Fuchs

Thank you so much for your help! I have had quite a few fur coats over the past years ( since the 1960’s) but never mink or sable. Definitely not raccoon, muskrat or fox for sure! Thank you again for your response, I think I may just take it to a furrier!
    Have a safe, great weekend!!

4. Linn

Sorry I wasn't able to help. Please let us know what you discover!

Debi Fuchs likes this.
  5. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

The hair looks too long IMHO to be mink although when researching a very long mink looking fur recently, I learned that there is such a thing as long hair mink, not as common as the traditionally sheared one but I am yet to see one in real life that is confirmed long hair mink. On mine, people thought silver fox and even maybe raccoon. Since you are certain it isn’t raccoon, maybe fox?

6. Debi Fuchs

Thank you! I looked at pictures of long hair mink, and doesn’t look like it. And definitely not fox. I think a furrier is my best bet! Thanks again!

7. Sophia Athanasoulis

Sophia Athanasoulis Registered Guest

CE565326-FB0F-42F3-B18E-CE9079A60967.jpeg I got this for coat at an estate sale a little while ago and I was wondering if anyone can identify exactly what fur and when it may have been made. There is the original tag on the tip of the inside of the jacket and the name of the previous owner embroidered on the inside of the coat. Please help!! :)

Attached Files:

8. Linn

Hi Sophia,

Welcome to the VFG Forums! Please start a new thread about your lovely coat - you will have a lot more replies! You can read about how to do that here:

https://forums.vintagefashionguild....-in-our-forums-by-posting-a-new-thread.72539/

I am not an expert on fur and while I think it is either mink or sable, I hope that someone who knows fur better will let us know for sure..
    You can also look at the VFG Fur Resource and see if you can find a fur that is similar to yours. The index is on the right side of the page:

https://vintagefashionguild.org/fur-resource/

Midge likes this.