1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CC41 Ladies Slippers--maybe?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Avantbo, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

I have been sorting through a 40s collection and I came across these slippers.

I think they are slippers, house shoes maybe?

Made between 1941 & 49, I think nearer 43.

They are soft but with a leather heel and sole, size 7 but I'm not sure if they are male or female, I think ladies but when I look again??.

It's the pattern, I'm convinced I had or have a dress with the same, anyone any idea what it might be called?

So, male, female, pattern and what would the material be?

Any advise appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Those are fab! I'm not much help on your questions except to say that cc41 didn't actually come out until 1942, and that the pattern reminds me of vintage London Underground seat upholstery! Does it have a slight pile?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  3. Retro Ruth

Apparently the TFL / underground piled fabric is called moquette. Usually wool and nylon with cotton backing. Chosen for durability, and in the case of TFL, patterned to best hide wear and dirt. Not sure if yours are moquette, as I can't quite tell if it is piled. But it strikes me it would be a good fabric for house shoes.

There's some great collections of the various patterns TFL have made over the years, such as this one from circa 1930. Not that I'm suggesting yours are from TFL remnants, I'm just getting distracted! And I do see a similarity with the patterns and texture.

[​IMG]

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/...tinctive-fabrics-moquette-history-in-pictures

Moquette samples from the Transport For London museum

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    GemGem, denisebrain, Jonathan and 2 others like this.
  4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Definitely women's, men don't wear instep bar shoes (aka Maryjanes in the US) The print is fab and suggest an early 40s date to me when Deco prints are still happening. As Ruth pointed out, CC41 only started being used in early 1942, so they can't date before then. The Controlled Commodity ID was created in 1941, which is why it has the 41 date, but it didn't come into effect until 1942.

5. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi Ruth and thank you.

Fantastic that is exactly what the design is so reminiscent of, public transport seating cloth/designs, buses, trains carriages, coaches of the 30s, 40s and perhaps 50s.

I don’t have the slippers in front of me right now, from recollection I can’t remember feeling a pile in the material so possibly not Moquette

It is a soft floppy material and am now wondering if it is a printed material but do remember thinking they had a nylon texture/appearance.

I will have to dig them out again and update.

The soles are marked CC 41, Z227 and S/W3, the last 3 characters I'm wondering might refer to a colour scheme.

Thanks Ruth, some great insight.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  6. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Thanks Jonathan, much appreciated.

A deco' print, hmmm.

7. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi Ruth,

I'm still looking into this pattern but I have slippers in front of me.

The material does indeed have a very short pile so think you were correct first time, Moquette.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  8. Retro Ruth

Interesting! I didn't actually know this term until looking up these TFL fabrics. Of course there are other piled fabrics, but this pattern does seem to be characteristic.