1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recognize this label?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Felice Roland Bond, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Felice Roland Bond

Felice Roland Bond Registered Guest

I had a difficult time photographing this label, as it was folded in half measuring only ¼" and extending out the side seam of a vintage doll wedding dress (that fits a 1960's Barbie). So, I had to photograph one side and then the other, and then Photoshop it to make "label" that sort of looks like the real one. I'm hoping someone will recognize it. It's pretty simple: Dark reddish brown label with white lettering and design.
    "S V" with a white longhorn steer head in between the S and the V. Attached is my photo.
    Keeping my fingers crossed!

Felice Bond S LONGHORN V LOGO.jpg

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I wonder if @Midge (our resident doll expert) would know?

Retro Ruth likes this.
  3. Felice Roland Bond

Thanks, I'll ask her!

4. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

5. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

Sergio Valente jeans were incredibly popular in the late 70s early 80s, here my favorite earworm from 1981:

6. Felice Roland Bond

Thanks, Carla! I'm a former science teacher, so I didn't recognize this label. My connection to fashion design is my brother, who used to design and make clothes for my Barbie doll! Frank grew up to be a college theater teacher, who designed sets and costumes for plays. A very talented person! Thanks again. I really appreciate this information!

denisebrain and carla rey like this.
  7. Felice Roland Bond

Love it!

8. Wow, do I remember this brand. The "IT" jeans of the 80s.
    I never knew they made doll clothing

carla rey likes this.
  9. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

A 1982 newspaper article about this subject noted: "But the men and women who design Barbie's and Ken's wardrobes aren't paid to be innovative. What they do is provide little girls with tiny copies of the clothes in their mothers'--and, increasingly, their own--closets. Not surprisingly, doll clothes bearing the trademarks of Sergio Valente and Jordache, and those created for the Brooke Shields doll, are more stylish..."

10. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

I didn't know they made doll clothes either, it popped up in a google search looking for the logo.

11. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Sorry I missed this yesterday, @Felice Roland Bond !

I wouldn't have known this as the logo for Sergio Valente immediately, but I was aware that there had been dolls. The 4-inch dolls in the blog post linked above are new to me as well, but there were also Sergio Valente dolls (girls and boys) and outfits in the 11.5" size range, so the same size as Barbie and Ken. They were made by Toy Time, ca. 1982-83. The book "Doll Junk - Collectible & Crazy Fashions from the 70s & 80s" by Carmen Varricchio shows several of them.

denisebrain likes this.