1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1950s varsity jackets

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by acceber, Mar 27, 2021.

1. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Hi there. I have a question about the 50s letterman jackets.

I have a 16 year old who just got an academic letter. I am wicked proud of her. It came up about getting her a school jacket to put her letter on. My mother, who is 82 years old, was a teenager in the 50s. She said that always wanted a letterman jacket. She said they were a huge fad with teenagers back then, that they were sold in stores (you didn’t have to excel at anything to get one) and that they came in lots of colors. She wanted one really badly but she wasn’t allowed to get one. I don’t know if it was a financial issue or just her parents. My grandparents were both extreme penny pinchers.

Anyway, I would like to surprise my mother with a jacket for Christmas! I can’t ask her too many questions or she’s going to catch on. She’s good like that. lol So in googling this, I do see that they were a fad, but it seems more about wearing your boyfriend’s lettered jacket and not buying your own, and I can’t be sure if the fad was about jackets or sweaters. I’d like to get her an authentic present. Is anyone here well versed in this era that could advise me? Am I looking for a sweater or a jacket? Thanks!

Retro Ruth likes this.
  2. Here are a couple of vintage 1950s sweaters that I currently have in my Ruby Lane shop......not sure if they would work for your Mom, but it's a great idea for a gift for her. You can click on the link that I've provided and it will take you directly to the item and give you a full description.

varsitysweater1957.png
    Vintage 1950 Varsity Wool Sweater Football Letterman Cardigan
    https://www.rubylane.com/item/659654-1212/Vintage-1950s-Varsity-Wool-Sweater-Football?search=1

1950slettermansweater.png
    Vintage 1950s Letterman Varsity Sweater Maroon Wool Stadium Shaker Sweater Company
    https://www.rubylane.com/item/659654-1247/Vintage-1950s-Letterman-Varsity-Cardigan-Sweater?search=1

3. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I bought her the white one. I think she would like those colors better. Thank you! I think it will make the best present ever!!

4. I just saw the purchase. order and will be shipping tomorrow. I'm glad that you made this post on the forums. Just goes to show that if you are looking for something "vintage", Vintage Fashion Guild is a good place to start looking for that special item. Somebody here will be able to help with your search. I would love to see photos when you give her this thoughtful gift. Please post some here for all of us to see and enjoy.

5. thedecorouscat

thedecorouscat Registered Guest

Here’s a little bit about the history of letterman sweaters and jackets. Both are authentic, although the sweaters came first. Jackets became more popular during the 40s/50s but I’d imagine it would also vary depending on the sport and where the school was (hot climate would probably be more likely to avoid a heavy jacket).
    https://historydaily.org/letter-perfect-the-history-of-varsity-jackets

acceber and MagsRags like this.
  6. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I will definitely share photos and thank you!

7. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Thank you for the link. It’s fascinating reading. Makes you wonder how many vintage jackets were shredded by ex girlfriends. lol My mother claims that you could walk into a clothing store and buy these jackets, that it was a trend and probably separate from earning a letter and the right to wear a jacket. She did say jackets too, not sweaters. It’s been so many days now that I could probably sneak in another question or two and not make her suspicious. She knows I hoard vintage. lol

8. acceber

acceber VFG Member

The sweater arrived today. I absolutely love it, and the little gift is adorable!! Thank you very much! I left you positive feedback. I don’t know if I’ll be waiting for Christmas to give her this present. Whenever I do, I will get pictures and share them here.

9. It was a great sweater and especially since it actually had the date on it, so there's no guessing as to that it is a 50s sweater worn by a varsity football player. And, I am thrilled that it has found a wonderful new home and that you are happy with it. Thank you again, Rebecca, and I will look forward to seeing pictures!

acceber and Midge like this.