1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

“Signing” a vintage nightgown

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by acceber, Jun 12, 2021.

1. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I feel like this is familiar somehow, although I can’t say I’ve ever seen a full name sewn on anything and certainly not a nightgown! It looks like someone tried to remove it and probably shouldn’t have. I don’t know of any way to fix it but to maybe try and sew it back on. I’m pretty sure it once said Judy.

5306542C-463C-43E8-9A10-A4F49D4F808B.jpeg 716DC1C7-9665-436A-ACAE-ED3514E1B192.jpeg FE28BF16-87B6-4E7B-9891-4051FA4E6998.jpeg 2CCE3A5C-8534-4EB6-ABDF-3A22ABCBAC36.jpeg 808BED1D-2F27-4FA3-9C7D-829E6AED2AF6.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Yes, I see that too...too bad they tried to remove it. I think I have had a nightgown or robe with a first name on it in the past.

acceber likes this.
  3. I see Judy too. Maybe Judy sent it out into the world and the new owner didn't like it there so tried to remove, realised it was just damaging the fabric so left it. Agree they shouldn't have bothered but I sympathise, I've fallen for this before and tried to remove things that I didn't want, only to discover that it was going to create more problems.

Lovely night gown.

acceber likes this.
  4. I once had two 60s nylon half slips with "Patricia" scrolled across the fronts in large script. I thought they'd be a hard sell... NOT!

acceber likes this.
  5. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

sure is a great piece, but i can't imagine trying to re-embroider that. good for you if you have that skill set!!!

acceber likes this.
  6. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

I have Shirley's panties, someone please tell her! :)
    il_794xN.2094693142_39f2.jpg

7. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I think it’s a cursive Judy with a continuing of the loop at the back of the y that comes down and underlines the name. I’m totally guessing but I think that might explain those stitching holes underneath. So I’m debating on this - what to do to fill in those two holes just enough to give the needle and embroidery something to bite into, because right now there is no fabric there to embroider.

8. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I would put a small patch of a very thin/gauzy fabric underneath and re-do the embroidery through that - it will be kept in place by the embroidery, and also serve as a fill-in where the holes are. I guess the holes happened when someone tried to undo the embroidery.

acceber likes this.
  9. acceber

acceber VFG Member

That sounds like it would work. I figured it had to be reinforced, just wasn’t sure what to use. I agree with how the holes got there. It’s a shame they didn’t just leave it alone.

The Vintage Merchant and Midge like this.