1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Objects of Desire: 1940s all-in-one sheath girdles.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by NylonNostalgia, Jul 4, 2021.

1. NylonNostalgia

NylonNostalgia VFG Member

The notoriously unforgiving 1940's sheath dress required perfectly designed foundation underwear to match - the essential all-in-one sheath girdle. As foundationwear maker Berlei aptly said at the time, "the figure makes the dress and we make the figure".

sheath-dresses.jpg

2. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

those Talon zipper ads are so good, I never would have thought to look to Talon for exceptional ad content for such a garment!!

thanks for sharing, Emma!

NylonNostalgia likes this.
  3. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Very interesting! And do you know, I couldn't find a single one using the title of 'sheath girdle' on Ebay or Etsy- fancy that!

4. NylonNostalgia

NylonNostalgia VFG Member

There are some that do - here's one - but they are modern and don't resemble the all-in-one sheath girdles of the vintage era.

GemGem likes this.
  5. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Nothing like them! The vintage ones seem like a whole dress all of their own! I’m pretty sure many people might wear them without a sheath dress over