1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Size of dress is throwing me off

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Moonchild, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Moonchild

Moonchild Registered Guest

Hi!

I have this green dress that SCREAMS early 00's.
    But the size is throwing me off. It says it's an L inside, but the sizing equals to and XS today. Would you still assume it's from the 00's? It has no labels except this that I'm showing you here. Usually, the smaller the size, the older the item (Is what I've read and heard always. Don't quote me on it though)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

It could be a children’s large. I don’t think the dress is older than 2000s

3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Hm... Italian numerical sizes run smaller than other EU sizes, but I would guess that S/M/L sizing would not be concerned with that. Can you show what the zipper looks like?

4. Moonchild

[​IMG]

5. Moonchild

Oh yeah, it could of course also be a children's size. Although, as far as I can recall, childrens clothes don't use "S M L" but actual numbers like height (I think)

6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes, that's more usual for children's clothes. It looks modern, I agree, the zipper definitely too. Maybe they just put in the wrong label - it looks like it's a not very high quality item. I would just list it with the measurements it has and say that the size on the label does not correspond to the actual size.

Moonchild likes this.
  7. Lora Ethan

Lora Ethan Registered Guest

I think, you can attache some extra piece of clothes which are matching your cloth and color.

8. NylonNostalgia

NylonNostalgia VFG Member

In my daytime job in the undie industry we don't even trust our own labels for size accuracy, and even less anyone else's. I don't trust our own machinists to select the right label for the order they are making up. Karin is totally right - the actual measurements are the only thing that counts. I know it is a VFG requirement to show labels but some labels are so utterly flimflam that they do more harm than good. 'L' means 'more or less Large' with an outrageous margin of error! Using vague size terms like 'L', 'Petite', 'M' etc gives unscrupulous manufacturers like me (well, not me personally lol) the green light to cut corners for the sake of speed with impunity!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  9. I have modern clothing made over seas, have the sizing all wrong. Especially Made in China, where a Large is actually a Small. Due to the size of the people that the mass produces pieces are made for. "Junior" size.
    Anything from the amazon sites are extremely ill fitting and sized wrong.

This May be the case with your dress.
    It looks very modern to me.