1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1950s Lilli Ann swing coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by TKSavage, Jul 19, 2021.

1. TKSavage

TKSavage Registered Guest

I have a vintage Lilli Ann swing coat that belonged to my mother. She passed away in 2012 and the coat has just been hanging in my closet since. I finally decided to do some web research and came across this group. I was hoping you could tell me more about this item. Any information you could give would be appreciated.
    upload_2021-7-19_12-37-2.jpeg image1 (1).jpeg image3 (1).jpeg

Distantdetails likes this.
  2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Oh, how lovely!

Welcome @TKSavage — Does the label look like any of these? https://vintagefashionguild.org/label-resource/lilli-ann/
    I am pretty sure this is a 1950s Lilli Ann. One of our members @Blue Wren Vintage has handled a lot of Lilli Ann coats and suits and may have seen one very similar. The fabric (which is always such great quality in LA coats of that age) looks like a twilled wool/mohair blend, but it's a little hard to tell.

3. TKSavage

IMG_1305.jpg
    The label article on this site had this label listed as 1946-1947.

4. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Yes, that label can be as early as 1946, and I believe lasted at least 10 years. Did your mother purchase the coat new?

5. TKSavage

I'm pretty sure she did. My parents would have married in the early 1950s s0 I'm thinking this may have been part of Mom's trousseau. I'm sad to say it was shortened in the 60s but otherwise is as purchased.

denisebrain likes this.
  6. Joji Furukawa

Joji Furukawa Registered Guest

I sold a purple Lilli Ann coat a few years ago that had a similar design with some differences, from what I can tell the vertical strips of velvet on the back were thicker and the collar was also lined with velvet. I listed it with a picture of this ad from the November 1955 edition of Vogue, modelled by Dorian Leigh. From the colours listed in the ad, I’m thinking maybe yours is an earlier iteration of this design? It’s lovely! I remember the fabric having a very luxurious, soft texture.

Attached Files:

7. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

I love the strapline in that advert
    Gorgeous coats!