1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I grow my business?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Moonchild, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Moonchild

Moonchild Registered Guest

Hi!

I've been selling vintage clothing for a very short while (since Nov 2020) on an app / website that is the Danish equivalent of Depop. I recently made a website so that I can sell overseas as well.
    Do you guys have tips as to how I can get the word out for my business? Get more costumers through the website etc.?

Thank you!

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  2. NylonNostalgia

NylonNostalgia VFG Member

Hej! (...I used to work in Korsør - love it in DK :) )

I think your new website is fab! I was in the same situation as you when I created nylonnostalgia.com , which I started because I wasn't happy with just being on Etsy. Getting visitors to any independent website is always difficult and can be hard work, but I am sure you know that already. There are a few things I'd say that might help you...

• Rome wasn't built in a day. Your site is new and it will take a while to get established - at least a year.
    • Pay attention to keywords. Sign up for Neil Patel's Ubersuggest. Don't go crazy with keywords but careful use helps.
    • Personalise your identity - you don't even mention your name on your About Us page. Identity makes visitors feel safe.
    • Change your About Us page to About Me. Become the girl at the front of your website, not behind it.
    • Get rid of that bloody annoying discount pop-up!!! Or at least make it pop up on exit, not entry.
    • Can you add a blog to your site? Good, authoritative blog posts figure highly on Google.
    • Have a really nice leaflet produced with your website details on and put one in every order you send out.
    • Social media so hard it squeals! Facebook, Instagram, Twitter - everything, every day. Use Tailwind's Smart.Bio.
    • Email your subscribers. I email all my 400+ subscribers once a month with a site update.
    • Join the VFG of course! That will give visitors added confidence in you and to buy - plus you'll be in the Member Directory.

Good luck with your fabulous new site. I am not an SEO expert or anything, but get back to me if I can help :)

Emms

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  3. Moonchild

GREAT suggestions! Thank you!
    The pop-up is insanely annoying. I'm working on it!
    I can definitely add a blog to the site. The thing is, I don't know what I would blog about. I use instagram to "blog" and promote, so I wouldn't really know what to use the blog section on the website for.
    I have ordered a bunch of business cards that I will include in every order! I don't have the budget to order leaflets as well, so I hope the business cards are good enough :)

I 'm not quite sure what you mean with joining the VFG. Can you elaborate? :)

Oh also, I would like to send out an E-mail. But I have NO experience in that department. - What to write in the E-mail, if I should add a "subscribe to our newsletter" thing... I honestly have no clue what to say.

GemGem and NylonNostalgia like this.
  4. NylonNostalgia

lol - 'VFG' is the Vintage Fashion Guild - as in this very forum! You are already a Registered Guest, but I meant join as a trade seller Member. That way Moonchild will be listed in the Directory, which will bring visitors to your website. The Vintage Fashion Guild website gets over 40,000 visitors a month from search engines alone and has a Domain Authority of 54 - awesome statistics that most website owners can only dream about.

Instagram doesn't work as a blog because in less than a day Instagram posts are forgotten about. They are yesterday's news. But, real blog posts posted to a website are there forever and are picked up by Google. Lazy, badly written blog posts ("My 5 Etsy dresses to die for", etc, etc) get nowhere, but if you write blog posts that actually help people answer their questions then they get hits.

ps - be careful not to openly advertise your website on this forum if you are a guest or you may be made to sit in the 'naughty corner'. I speak with experience, lol. I'd edit that website link from your post, just in case!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  5. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

It's always a good idea, if you are unsure, to see what other similar places do. Subscribe to a few places you really enjoy and vibe with you. You can use the research you gather to create a template and add in what makes you unique/special/desirable etc. Put your own spin on it. You may also find out other things you didn't know and even find a bargain or two along the way :)

Moonchild and NylonNostalgia like this.
  6. NylonNostalgia

Two easy steps!

1. If you haven't got email marketing in your website deal then sign up for SendInBlue.
    2. Send out something like this - here's one of mine.
    Don't bug people though, or you'll annoy them. Once a month, maximum. It encourages people to return to your website.

Emms

The Vintage Merchant and GemGem like this.
  7. Moonchild

Oh gosh, I can't have that. But I can't seem to find an edit button for the original forum post. :(

I'll see how I can become a member though!
    And thank you very much for showing me how one of your E-mails can look like. I appreciate all the help!

8. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

@Moonchild - just click on the little "Edit" button at the bottom of your post - or I can do it for you :). Post links to selling sites or items for sale are indeed privileges for VFG trade members.

9. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

The reasons for joining the VFG, our Code of Practice and applications for membership can all be found under the JOIN tab on the homepage of our website. :)

MagsRags and GemGem like this.
  10. Luca_Balzarini

Luca_Balzarini Registered Guest

From my personal experience, I'd also suggest opening an Etsy online shop.
    It's the best way to attract customers that are really fond of vintage pieces and do extensive research.
    That's easily the best way to get noticed and you can always redirect them at your own personal website :)

Good luck :)

x